Need some HELP again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lopiliberty

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2011
WV
Installing DLV to a Selkirk Class A chimney(I know your not supposed to but it says somewhere in the instruction you can install it to another manufactured chimney). Telescoping pipe will not slide over the adaptor but the extra six inch DVL I ordered will. Is it ok to attach the six inch piece of pipe to the top section of the telescoping section? It doesn't have the same fit on the inside as the bottom piece of telescoping pipe does to the stove adaptor. Also how important is it for the stove adaptor to fit tight on the flue collar? It will fit after I notch a place out for the pipe in the stove flue collar and will go all the way over the flue collar but its not tight at all. Sorry for all the questions and long post but I want to do this only once. Pic is of top telescoping section attached to the extra six inch piece I ordered.
Thanks again
Chris
IMG_0062.JPG

Why are you not using Selkirk's double-wall connector?

Why are you not using Selkirk's double-wall connector?
I wondered when that was going to come up. I don't like it. To many joints with those ugly finishing bands. I don't think its a very clean look. Beside I didn't know you had to have a special adaptor for double wall pipe. I have the long dripless smoke pipe adaptor for single wall pipe. Selkirk DSP wouldn't work either without pulling the flue and putting the DSP adaptor on

I think the message has been pretty consistent to not mix brands of pipe in an installation. A dripless adapter is required for DVL as well. Regardless of the company, one doesn't pull the chimney to install this. It goes between the ceiling support and the connector.

If you look on northline express both Selkirk and DuraVent have different adaptors for double wall and single wall pipe. I see no other way to connect the adaptor unless you pull the chimney out of the ceiling support box or could I be missing something. Was looking on northline express last night and they had the Selkirk long adaptor and it said only for single wall pipe but of course I didn't know this. This stuff is driving me nuts. Bout ready to pack up everything I ordered and send it back.:mad:

Have you read the installation manual? The adapter usually just twists in and locks into the receiving rim of the support box.

Capture.JPG

I ran Selkirk double inside to their through the wall kit. The adapter was part of the through the wall kit. Seemed a little flimsy only locked into place to the stainless with three set screws that sat into the groove for the locking ring on the stainless but all works great.

Have you read the installation manual? The adapter usually just twists in and locks into the receiving rim of the support box.

View attachment 122188
This is the adaptor I have. It twists into the Class A and then it and the class A and adaptor sit down into the ceiling support box. To remove this adaptor all the pipe has to be pulled to remove it

5se-6t-dsac-xlg.jpg
So your saying the is another adaptor that will side over this one (after its cut off some) that the Selkirk double wall will attach to. This is the only adaptor northline express sells for DSP
imagesCAQI00WC.jpg

I think the message has been pretty consistent to not mix brands of pipe in an installation. A dripless adapter is required for DVL as well. Regardless of the company, one doesn't pull the chimney to install this. It goes between the ceiling support and the connector.

yes, but everyone does it all the time!

either a metal best dsa or the dvl chimney adapter, or the security chimney adapter can work

Looks like I'm just spouting unrelated nonsense, as it's a lil different than my through the wall set-up.
2013-12-30 18.49.33.jpg
I'm a little rusty as I did this only once and it was a couple of months ago. I think I used the part you picture above as well as the black flange you see that sits on the outside of the stainless section that comes through the wall. it's a small collar type piece that just allows the male end of the 6' section of double wall you see go into the adapter for the ss pipe.

Okay, I'm probably just mucking up the pot here so I will zip it at this point. Good luck to you.

yes, but everyone does it all the time!

either a metal best dsa or the dvl chimney adapter, or the security chimney adapter can work

Some, may do this perhaps, but by doing so they void the warranty of the stove pipe system, right? Are the customers told this? As we are seeing mixing brands also adds complications in securing the connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.