Need some help with a splitter cradle.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

46hemi

Nov 24, 2009
Southern CT
I finally bought a splitter but it has one issue. The splitter is a 25 ton MTD that the guy bought from HD. The problem is it seems to be missing the log cradle for horizontal splitting. I called MTD but the price is really expensive through them. I see that others have made their own but I dont have the tools, or know how to do that. Does anyone have any good ideas? I figure I can just split vertically until I find a solution. Thanks all!

Don't need a cradle to split horizontally. I split 24 inch logs without one. Big stuff must be broken down to smaller pieces. Half the big ones and let the far half drop. Hold the other half by hand and break it down to splits....Done.

Like I said in the PM, you can't beat this for $71.
LogSplitter004.jpg

I like to split slabs off the edges of the really big stuff, kind of whittle it down, rather than take it exactly in half. You can split a piece off, roll the log while it is resting on the beam, split another slab off, repeat. That way you don't have to keep bending to pick pieces up. On medium to small stuff, I split a 3rd of the log off the main piece, roll it 90 degrees, split the remaining piece in half.

I also keep the pieces that need more than 1 pass through the splitter between me and the splitter and I toss the split piece away from the splitter area. I reach over and hold onto the split that being separated with one hand, operate the valve with the other, and brace the remaining larger piece with the side of my leg while reversing the ram. This leaves you in control of the larger piece that remains to be split.
I can then reposition it for the next chop or toss it on the pile if it is stove size.

I have the log cradles on my MTD, I loaned the splitter to my brother and when I got it back they were bent like pretzels. He wasn't watching while splitting logs with branches sticking out.
I find them to be of minimal use.

kettensäge said:
I like to split slabs off the edges of the really big stuff, kind of whittle it down, rather than take it exactly in half. You can split a piece off, roll the log while it is resting on the beam, split another slab off, repeat. That way you don't have to keep bending to pick pieces up. On medium to small stuff, I split a 3rd of the log off the main piece, roll it 90 degrees, split the remaining piece in half.

I also keep the pieces that need more than 1 pass through the splitter between me and the splitter and I toss the split piece away from the splitter area. I reach over and hold onto the split that being separated with one hand, operate the valve with the other, and brace the remaining larger piece with the side of my leg while reversing the ram. This leaves you in control of the larger piece that remains to be split.
I can then reposition it for the next chop or toss it on the pile if it is stove size.

I have the log cradles on my MTD, I loaned the splitter to my brother and when I got it back they were bent like pretzels. He wasn't watching while splitting logs with branches sticking out.
I find them to be of minimal use.

Snapped the bolts off my first log cradle on my MTD . . . replaced with beefier bolts . . . and learned to me a little more careful when splitting wood . . . since then no issues . . . a better design might be a solid piece of metal so the split doesn't get fetched up on the metal arms.

Thanks for all the answers. Sounds like some people think you need a cradle and some think not. Either way it sounds like I should not invest any money in the stock cradle as its weak.

I rented an old MTD last fall and he had cradles welded onto the splitter....short one on the operator side and large one to catch the spits. I plan to do the same when i finally buy a splitter. Made the work much easier than w/o them!

Justin, is that a horiz/vert splitter?
How's it working for you?
It looks sturdy and practical for horizontal splitting, plus maybe helps protect things.

46hemi said:
Thanks for all the answers. Sounds like some people think you need a cradle and some think not. Either way it sounds like I should not invest any money in the stock cradle as its weak.

I like the cradle . . . it's handy to split a good size piece and rest a piece on the cradle while you split the other piece . . . but if I had a choice of buying the stock cradle or building one myself I would build one myself vs. paying for the stock cradle . . . mine simply came with the cradle already in place.

velvetfoot said:
Justin, is that a horiz/vert splitter?
How's it working for you?
It looks sturdy and practical for horizontal splitting, plus maybe helps protect things.

Yes it splits horizontal and vertical. The cradle is easily removed for the vertical position. It has worked well for me and saved my back from a lot of lifting.

I made my own, way less cost than what was on the market, and it stays on when tilting up (although I like horizontal better with this "shelf" cradle).

Attachments

• splitter1.jpg
    splitter1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 664
  • splitter2.jpg
    splitter2.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 655
Love the pics here, thanks for the great ideas. I always felt that spot needed something like this. Less bending and scooping!

I found that the log cradle just got in my way on the operator side so I took mine off. I always wanted a work table on the other side but since I had that extra log cradle, I just sistered it onto the other side. NOt as good as a real work table, but better than nothing.

100_0341.JPG

I just installed the one that Justin M has (after it was laying around all winter). Seems pretty rugged and comes off in seconds. I got it in black.
Still might split mostly vertical, but might not be bad to change it up a little.

I like one on the non operator side.
For big rounds i split in half and "hold" the one in the cradle while i work on the first half.
I try like hell not to let a split hit the ground that still needs work. My back thanks me for it.
Here is what i did on mine.

I used a friends splitter without a cradle and used a big round cut the same height as the I beam as a far side "table"

Attachments

• DSCN4178.jpg
    DSCN4178.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 538
VF- what splitter is that cradle on?

We went the cheap way with our Huskee 35 ton. Had an old table about 2.5' by 2.5' with 2x4's for the legs and 3/4" plywood for the top. Works great and we just move it out of the way when not needed. Sorry don't have any pictures.

I have a pretty nice cradling beam on my Huskee 35T but, for when I going horizontal, I use a heavy duty half pallet on two saw horses nudged up against the non-operator side of the beam. I can stage several rounds on the table as well as use it to hold part of the round I'm currently working on. Works for me and, as a salute to a real scrounger, didn't cost me a penny.

Status
Not open for further replies.