Need some help with an insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin77

Oct 26, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
Howdy, I just bought a house that has a Majestic Thulman L36 insert installed. It has the same problem as the person who posted this question in 2006: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/5252/#56603

I have tried to contact the Majestic/Monessen company to find replacement fire bricks, but they were no help. I tried a local company but their bricks aren't the proper size and significant work would have to be done in order to get them to fit (cutting/sizing).

Does anybody know how I can get some replacement firebricks? The insert is in great condition otherwise and the chimney is not the sheet metal one and is in good condition.

Thanks, Kevin

I've had no luck finding the right size in the past for my stove as well and ended up buying the fire brick in mine from Tractor Supply, my buddy has a tile saw and it cuts them perfectly to size when I need a new one in the stove....

From reviewing the thread you provided, the OP seemed to only mention the brick being 2" thick. Possibly I missed the other dimensions, so I'm not sure what you're looking for. Alsey Refractories make several different firebrick 2" thick in both medium density and high density. My supposition is that the MT L36 uses a medium density brick. Alsey's product # J1004 is 9x4.5x2; J3004 is 12x4.5x2; and J6065 is 12x6x2. They have additional sizes in high density brick. Reference: http://alsey.com/medium_duty_firebrick.htm They're good folks and will sell from their Georgia plant and ship UPS if weight allows.
I have no financial interest in Alsey Refractories nor do they send me a Christmas present.

Thanks for the information mates! I will contact alsey. I was hoping that some company had the dimensions of all of the manufacturers firebrick dimensions and either had one's to fit in stock or could make them, sort of like getting a car part...

Thanks, Kevin

They prefer folks to buy from local dealer/distributors, but as I exhausted the possible dealers within a 100 mile radius from myself, they offered to sell direct to me. There are differences in firebrick and Alsey makes them the way I desire, but that's just me. If you need a phone number, just PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.