Need some help with some tree IDs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schlot

Minister of Fire
Nov 21, 2011
Iowa
I found a couple trees that have to be removed, but have no clue of what they are. Unfortunately almost all the leaves are gone, except some shriveled up examples.

Tree 1
tree1a.jpgtree1b.jpgtree1c.jpg

Chaineatingline tree ;)
Full of spikes, barbed wire, staples, nails
"Iron filled elm" :)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Chaineatingline tree ;)
Full of spikes, barbed wire, staples, nails
"Iron filled elm" :)
2nd Elm. Looks pretty healthy. Most of ours are long dead from dutch elm disease.

Bogy...so are you saying having the fence still wrapped in the wood is bad? I thought it would burn better that way. LOL.

Surprisingly the elm I've cut lately all looks good, just in the wrong place for various reasons.

Here is the second tree I need help with, it near the first one.

tree2a.jpgtree2b.jpgtree2c.jpg

Thanks for your help.

The second tree looks like Ash. I think I see some opposite branching and the bark looks like Ash.

I think the first is Siberian Elm.

That looks absolutely terrifying to buck up! Personally I would consider only bucking the wood after it splits off the main trunk!

Otherwise, keep your sharpener handy! :)

Sure does not look like our elm.

If you cut that tree, be sure to cut only above that wire.

Reactions: JOHN BOY
1st looks like cottonwood 2nd looks like box elder to me. Pat

That looks like a mullberry tree to me. Were there any berrys on it during the spring or summer. When you start cutting let us know if the wood is a yellowish color .

A picture of a twig with buds and leaf scars should confirm it.

Put a size reference object in the picture, too (coin, ruler, etc.).

I don't remember any berrys on it. Getting the saw ready in a few minutes to go take down the second tree, so I will post pictures in a little while.

Last chance on placing your bets!

Took down tree number 2....well most of it, decided to leave the fence entangled portion for the bulldozer.

tree2d.jpg

Here is an end shot.

tree2f.jpg

Never would have thought of box elder....hmmm.

The area where I took the tree down was close to the city brush pile. It was nice to have such a short haul with the limbs.

I got to use the Echo in earnest today. Worked great. Used the Poulan to cut the larger wood and the Echo to cut the smaller stuff.

After a while the "city man" started to burn the brush pile. I thought about telling him that most of the wood wasn't seasoned well enough, but I decided against trying that joke out on him.

tree2e.jpg

Reactions: loon
The red center wood sure looks like the box elder that I've cut. Could be wrong tho!!

Status
Not open for further replies.