Need some help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

biggins08

Sep 20, 2006
Springfield MA
A friend of mine is looking into an Englander NC-13. Are thses only availible in the top vent model? His fireplace is really to small for an insert and he can only afford a small free standing stove. How hard will it be and how much material IE pipe, and thimble will be needed to get the stove into the chimney wall? Is this install very difficult? Mine was a straight shot liner to the insert...Just looking for opinions and advice!

Hard Woods said:
A friend of mine is looking into an Englander NC-13. Are thses only availible in the top vent model? His fireplace is really to small for an insert and he can only afford a small free standing stove. How hard will it be and how much material IE pipe, and thimble will be needed to get the stove into the chimney wall? Is this install very difficult? Mine was a straight shot liner to the insert...Just looking for opinions and advice!

What are the dimensions of the fireplace? By the time you add up the cost of materials and labor, not to mention the mess, of punching a hole in the front of the fireplace it is going to be more than the cost difference between a NC-13 and the Englander insert which is the same stove in an insert configuration. The difference should be around $400 more for the insert give or take based on where you buy it.

The minimum fireplace dimensions for the 13-NCI insert are 26" W x 22 1/4" H x 14" D which would be a darn small fireplace.

Yeah, I know he wants to get it at some big sale at home cheapo next weekend on the cheap. They don't carry the insert Idon't think....

the 13 series is only available in top vent. im with BB look at the 13-nci, much cleaner installation. be advised however , this must be a masonary fireplace , cannot be a zero clearance. the nci however is not a home depot stock item and would have to be special ordered. for pricing please have him check with the "pro desk" or special order desk i'd give you a price but im at home now and do not have a pricing schedule handy. also if you wish you can call our customer service dept at 800-245-6489 and they should be able to give you a price as well. please let me know if i may be of service.

if depot places the order the stove should be there in a week or two at most depending on location( obviously we can get a unit to maryland faster than we can to wyoming, being located in virginia), at the store, same same , with lowes or any of our retailers

Colorado to Virginia is...

Oh never mind.

(Six days)

I punched a hole through my chimney to install a free standing stove it was easier than I thought. I used a Bosch hammer drill with a 24 inch long 3/4 dia bit and a chisel. I had to go in through the brick, through more brick, through some mortar and then I finally reached the old terra cotta flue. I busted through that (quite easily) and then installed a stainless steel flex liner ($500 6x25 with cap) that I pulled down the flue and out through my hole. I then mortared around the liner to seal up the hole. The liner was need required for me because my old flue was rough, so your buddy could do what I did but just install a clay thimble ( a few bucks) only if his existing flue is inspected and cleaned of course.

Attachments

• P7220333.jpg
    P7220333.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 255
  • P7220334.jpg
    P7220334.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 273
  • P7220338.jpg
    P7220338.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 266
Hardwood Pm me Harley just pm'ed me to look at your post. I got some ideas nothing at this time I want to post

Status
Not open for further replies.