Need some ideas please !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

I would like to make a log holder that would use my hitch reciever so that I can stick the end of a log in it to elevate it off the ground and be able to cut elevated. When I had my s10 I would attach a ratchet strap over the tailgate in the down position I could then line up 5 or 6 decent logs that would sit perfect. Then I just ran the saw through all of them and walla no multiple loads out of the woods and way less dirt. So here is the issue I know have a 1986 sierra k1500 and that doesn't work well with it. My thoughts are to build one that sticks out of the hitch and that I can just slip a log in cut then throw it all in the bed from there. Does anybody make one for sale or do you have desighn ideas on how to make one ?

Thanks guys
Pete

I would like to make a log holder that would use my hitch reciever so that I can stick the end of a log in it to elevate it off the ground and be able to cut elevated. When I had my s10 I would attach a ratchet strap over the tailgate in the down position I could then line up 5 or 6 decent logs that would sit perfect. Then I just ran the saw through all of them and walla no multiple loads out of the woods and way less dirt. So here is the issue I know have a 1986 sierra k1500 and that doesn't work well with it. My thoughts are to build one that sticks out of the hitch and that I can just slip a log in cut then throw it all in the bed from there. Does anybody make one for sale or do you have desighn ideas on how to make one ?

Thanks guys
Pete
How big are these logs Pete? Timberjacks work pretty good for 8-18". Or just use a cant hook to roll 'em up onto another log/round.

One word of caution about using the receiver hitch - Most Class IV hitches can handle about 1000 lbs of tongue weight. If you build this thing to extend farther out than a trailer ball would normally sit (and you'd pretty much have to) then that number will shrink fast. If you're talking about cutting 6" or less diameter poles than you'd probably be ok but since I built the sawbuck I'm hauling 80" poles back to the house and cutting them in the saw buck rather than in the field.

How big are these logs Pete? Timberjacks work pretty good for 8-18". Or just use a cant hook to roll 'em up onto another log/round.

One word of caution about using the receiver hitch - Most Class IV hitches can handle about 1000 lbs of tongue weight. If you build this thing to extend farther out than a trailer ball would normally sit (and you'd pretty much have to) then that number will shrink fast. If you're talking about cutting 6" or less diameter poles than you'd probably be ok but since I built the sawbuck I'm hauling 80" poles back to the house and cutting them in the saw buck rather than in the field.

I have a timber jack and absolutely hate it lol. The are usually 6" to 10" rounds around 6 to 8ft long. My hitch is a 10,000 + pound hitch max load of 14000 pounds. Tongue wait is 1000 pound I believe but I will have to double check that part.

I have a timber jack and absolutely hate it lol. The are usually 6" to 10" rounds around 6 to 8ft long. My hitch is a 10,000 + pound hitch max load of 14000 pounds. Tongue wait is 1000 pound I believe but I will have to double check that part.

Just keep in mind that 1000lb rating is for a load about 6" to 8" from the hitch itself. Your sawbuck attachment that you want to build will almost certainly double if not triple that load center.

Pete I guess your talking about a bed extender? There are several manufacturers of them
lund_hitch_hand_truck_bed_extender.jpg

I contemplated buying one when I was hauling all the 12' hardiboard during residing project, but opted for a couple 2x6x12' and stacked on those instead.

That looks like it might work well based ! I think I would need to weld a swinging arm that could hold the log though. I need to give that some thought thanks guys.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.