Need some ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trobb

Nov 24, 2009
N.Ky.
I am wanting to improve my airflow in my basement (where the stove & most of the heat is) in hopes of getting more heat upstairs.

It's a finished basement, no exposed duct work, only 1 way for heat to travel upward...the staircase.

No ceilings fans...yet

Short of a few oscilating fans are there any other ways that some of you may be using.

not sure this will help? my stove is on the first floor in the back of the house, i use an oscolating fan behind it to blow the hot air to the 2 ajoing rooms also i have a box fan at the top of the stairs on the 2ndd floor on low

Rick

install a couple floor registers...

years ago when i had my wood stove in the basement i installed floor registers and made a louvered door to the basement.it really worked great for getting the heat upstairs.just remember you need to have circulation so i had 2 vents in each room.got my pellet eater upstairs now.

If you are looking for more heat upstairs, this is how I have done that.

Hope this makes sense. Not as complicated as it sounds.

As summit and urkiddin mentioned, floor registers will be best. You need a cold air return as well.

I have the stove in an unfinished, uninsulated basement. 2 Floor Cape (about 2000 living space) above the basement.
No duct work as all. No floor registers yet.

Here is what has worked for me using only the staircase. Which is shortwalled at the top of the staircase to boot,
thus hindering the airflow dispersment a bit.

So far, I have
1, Removed the basement door for the winter (it was in the way being wide open all the time)
2, I have drywall on the stairwell studs in the basement. I cut about 4 foot long (3 studs length), 2.5 foot tall piece at the top of the wall,
closest to the door upstairs.
3, Put a small fan near the top (3rd step from the top) where the cutout is facing INTO the basement, running on low. Thus creating a cold air return.

The hole I cut last weekend was the last thing I did and that boosted the 1st floor by at least 4 degrees.
There was already a small hole at the top step where I had the fan, but creating the larger area for heat to pass through and rise really made a difference.

Where the fan is, I can feel cold air being sucked from the first floor and only a foot or so above that warm air is moving upstairs.

Floor registers are in order here for me, and insulating the walls next spring or summer will be done for sure. Yours being finished,
it is probably insulated already, that's a big plus.

I learned here on the forums the importance of a cold air return and using a fan to blow low and INTO the basement.
You cant "push" the heat up with a fan, but you can push cold air down which will force the heat up.

This is my learning year and so far the 4 x 2 opening with the return has been the real key for me.

Right now, I can get the first floor to 68-72 easily and the second floor (bedrooms only there) around 62 during the day.
About 8-10 deg cooler 1st floor and 4-5 deg 2nd floor at night when I turn the stove down.

Geno

edit: the top of the stairs is now the favorite sleeping place for one of the cats...nice an warm there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.