need some increaser help ("Pipes 101", perhaps)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostock

Oct 27, 2010
Sharpsburg Maryland
hey folks, wondering if anyone has cutting/bending/ tricks for fitting increaser onto liner, here's the details: existing SS liner in place, not sure of manufacturer (but liner was inspected and 'cleared for burn' by my chimney guy). Liner is 8, stove is 6, bought the 8f6m from CDL. Just lined them up and it appears the liner is more like 8 1/4! it's not (visually) out of round, could it just be rough edges? Seems like there's no chance of getting the increaser on there - hoping some of you experts know a trick or two..maybe a verticle cut and a belt clamp? I don't have a lot of room to work with, maybe only 6-7 inches of the liner comes out from the block-off plate....

Is there a 90 involved here somewhere? A pic might be helpful. Any chance that you could use an 8in adapter and put a piece of 8inch pipe (not sure if you are using single or double wall going to the stove), then use a stove pipe adapter to switch to the 6 inch?

Also, hope this chimney is pretty tall. An 8 inch chimney on a modern appliance that needs a 6 incher doesn't draw very hard.

pen

30’ chim. There will be only one 90, stove is configured for rear vent. Single-wall pipe. I’ll try to get pic tonight. Pen – when you say adapter are you referring to a reducer/increaser? I already have one of those (8inch on female side, 6inch crimped) but it won’t fit onto the 8inch liner. It seems I need to compress the liner’s diameter a little bit or something. I think using an 8inch pipe I would probably find the same to be true – liner is slightly “fat”.

Try crimping the liner. Your local hearth shop should have one that you can borrow (or rent). Crimping should
allow you to get the reducer on, then you'll have to attach them together with SS zip screws or rivets...

What Daksy said. And here's what the tool looks like:

midwest-crimping-tool-5-blade-700840.jpg

Note that's a crimper, not a cutter.

Reactions: PapaDave
ah yes - i've seen that tool before, thanks for the pic! Will that work on the liner? it's that "corrugated" or ribbed SS stuff - it isn't smooth like stove pipe

it's a corrugated flex liner, but i believe it is SS. There are no "smooth" areas like i see in that pic, just corrugated. Seems fairly heavy duty. whatabout cutting a series of 1inch vertical cuts and then pushing the edges inward?

Here is what I was talking about using (not necessarily this one, but it gives you an idea)http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/store/420/product/Flex-Liner-ApplianceStove-Connector-8-inch.html

appliance_connector.jpg

This is meant to join liner to stove pipe (or the stove collar). If you used this, you should be able use a section of 8 inch stove pipe, then the 8-6 inch reducer that you have without having to do any cutting or crimping.

i don't like the idea of cutting. Since that liner is so much bigger than what you are trying to slide on to it, that you may well end up with an exposed cut somewhere.

pen

I agree with pen. Don't cut your liner, especially if it's right above the stove/insert outlet. That's a HIGH HEAT area & even the SS liners may eventually fail under those conditions. No sense in starting with a weak spot. I'd try to crimp it first.

I agree with pen. Don't cut your liner, especially if it's right above the stove/insert outlet. That's a HIGH HEAT area & even the SS liners may eventually fail under those conditions. No sense in starting with a weak spot. I'd try to crimp it first.

Also, those cuts would end up bowing in towards the center of the pipe. At the very least, they would create a restriction, and they also would be a prime spot for an accumulation to build up.

Like dak said, no point in starting with a weak spot.

yep i agree, very good points, i won't cut it. Drats though - I just paid $12 shipping to get the increaser form CDL - now i'll need to spend another $12 to ship this piece LOL.

And you thought you were burning wood to save money...

Reactions: DAKSY
Status
Not open for further replies.