Need some info on Hearth Mats / Hearth Rugs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Wilson

Nov 19, 2005
Orient Point, NY
Looking for some input on Hearth Mats, or Hearth Rugs, whatever they're called.

I saw three materials, fiberglass, wool, and polypro. Any suggestions on which is "best" for the purpose? It would be going in front of my hearth, where the Kennebec is. The hearth is flush with the floor.
Fiberglass would be my first choice for melt-proof/fire-proof, but somehow walking barefoot on fiberglass doesn't sound too appealing... maybe its different when its in rug form? Wool sounds comfortable, but somewhat useless if a coal hits it... might not combust, but would probably leave a nice charred spot. Then the polypro... sounds like a coal would leave a nice melt-spot. They are all realtively cheap, so cost is not a factor.

SO, anyone have any ideas, suggestions, comments? Sources for purchasing?

Thanks,

-- Mike

Mike I just did a lot of research on the hearth rugs last night. Fiberglass my be the best material, but it looks like crud in my opinion. To make a long story short I decided on getting a 100% wool rug. Figuring it would maybe last a few years I wanted to invest as little as possible. I looked at the hearth dealers wares and didn't like the shapes or styles they provided. Beyond that, I have a custom hearth and wanted a rug to fit appropriately. I spent some time on Ebay and found a wool rug that was just the perfect size. Not exactly my taste, but close enough. I'll roll it up and stash it when not using the stove. Spent $25 bucks total, including shipping. PM me if you would like the information from Ebay.

-Kevin

If your using that to extend your hearth for clearnace purposes, I don't think its acceptable as far as r-rating & to protect the combustibles underneath it.
It would be ok for sparks & such. But if for some reason a log rolls breaks through the glass, or out after opening door. Its not going to keep the heat from combustibles below it. I have one now, not sure what it is, I think wool. It has a couple small melt spots from some fair size poppes chars. Did protect the rug underneath, but won't stop it from ccatching ablaze if a burning log were to end up on it. Next project......extend hearth. Man this project list in my new old home is growing faster than I can complete any.

Status
Not open for further replies.