Need some info on Missouri

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
The wife is going to interview for a co. in MO. She would work between Columbia and Jefferson City on a weekly basis. Can anyone give up some info on public schools (K-12), daycare, cost of living, crime, what counties are good and safe to live in? The overall appeal or dis-appeal of this area? Tornado's and floods seem to come to mind, anything else? Quality of life? Columbia is the 5th largest city so is it more rural or urban?

Any info about this is welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Charlie

Ashland looks like the area that would make the most sense, add that local to the questions.

We go through Jefferson City on RAAM coming from the SW. Heavy traffic for sure! Heavy with rain and awful humidity too.

We have friends in Missouri, moved back to the homeland after retiring in Texas, and it does seem to be one of those places that catches both ends of weather extremes. Hot summers and cold winters. We always know what is headed our way because their weather heads East and then turns North and comes right over us. They don't get the snow, that comes from Arctic air that they get running into moisture coming up from the Gulf that they don't get and colliding over us. And the tornadoes in the last few years have been nasty.

The coldest night I have ever spent in my life was one windy night in St. Louis in 1977.

No help I know. But I can also tell you that the people there are the friendliest you can find on the planet.

Thanks guys,

I'm coming from a city with an approx. same population as Columbia so I'm not sure how to take the traffic note. During football season I can see how that would be an issue but the daily commute? I've seen reports of the avg commute being 15-30min which isnt that far off from home now. Anyone on safety? I would be bring 4 kids all ages so good/safe schools are vital. We are under the impression that this would be a great area to raise a family.

Moving can be quite a stressful time and it is normal to wonder about neighbors and safety, etc. I recall one time moving and before we did were warned of all sorts of things. And then we also heard many times, the people there are different. Very clannish and don't like newcomers, etc. We moved and found the people to me much like where we came from or even a bit friendlier. It was a good move and we hope your move turns out the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.