Need some practical advice on running the stove at night with a CAT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

afptl

Dec 16, 2010
Northern KY
HI All!
Got our Vermont Castings Intrepid II hooked up today with the chimney liner. Seems to be working well. Ran up the hardware store to get a magnetic thermometer so we don't have learning curve issues.

So according to the directions, when the stove gets to 450 degrees you flip the damper to use the cat. If I get the stove too hot, I know the close up the other damper on the stove. So would it burn cooler or hotter with the CAT flipped on or off? Trying to figure this out since I know sooner or later I will need to know!

Also, what do I do at night time? I think I would load the stove for the night and cut the damper back to burn slow. But what about the CAT? do I burn it with the cat or burn it without? As the stove cools overnight, it will be too cool for the CAT so wouldn't that damage it? I don't know if everyone is familar with the stove, but you burn it with the damper CAT bypass open when you start it, then bring it up to 450 degrees, then flip the damper so the smoke runs through the CAT.

Thanks for any advice! Hubby seems to like it and everyone is happy to not have to run downstairs to feed the big old wood eater in the basement that makes the house either way too hot or way too cold!

Ann, i am also burning a Intrepid ii.... once you engage the cat let the stove run until ready for reload at around 350... should get 5 to 6 hours if burning dry wood. its a small firebox, i just reloaded mine and there were a few coals left after 6 hrs.. you can burn the stove in bypass mode but wont get the burn times that you do with cat engaged. i usually run mine around 550 or 600... you will get used to the load engage cat steady burn and reload cycle... its a great heater for its size.. mine is old a 1303 model but still looks awesome...

Ann from KY said:
HI All!
Got our Vermont Castings Intrepid II hooked up today with the chimney liner. Seems to be working well. Ran up the hardware store to get a magnetic thermometer so we don't have learning curve issues.

So according to the directions, when the stove gets to 450 degrees you flip the damper to use the cat. If I get the stove too hot, I know the close up the other damper on the stove. So would it burn cooler or hotter with the CAT flipped on or off? Trying to figure this out since I know sooner or later I will need to know!

Also, what do I do at night time? I think I would load the stove for the night and cut the damper back to burn slow. But what about the CAT? do I burn it with the cat or burn it without? As the stove cools overnight, it will be too cool for the CAT so wouldn't that damage it? I don't know if everyone is familar with the stove, but you burn it with the damper CAT bypass open when you start it, then bring it up to 450 degrees, then flip the damper so the smoke runs through the CAT.

Thanks for any advice! Hubby seems to like it and everyone is happy to not have to run downstairs to feed the big old wood eater in the basement that makes the house either way too hot or way too cold!

We just installed a VC Defiant Cat stove, replacing a small insert. This is my first Cat stove and we are also new to wood burning, but have done a TON of research here. Just to answer a few of your questions, your goal should be to always burn with the Cat engaged once up to temp after reloads. With the Cat stove designs you certainly can burn with Cat disengaged (damper open on VC models) and make decent heat, but you will be sending all that smoke, which is unburned fuel, up the pipe and not converting it into usable heat. I would also use the 450 stove top temp as a LOW end temp for Cat engaging. Personally I like to wait until 550-600 before engaging, then turn down the air control in 2-3 small increments. The manual (at least on our Defiant) states that max operating temp is 750. Ours cruises at 400-425 (my wood is not as seasoned as I would like). The stove definitely cools down a bit after engaging the Cat till it hits its cruising temp based on the air intake setting you choose.

Once the stove starts to cool down on a long overnight burn, you will do no damage to the Cat as the excess smoke from the wood has already been burned up.

I am getting 7-8 burns on not the driest of wood. My reload is that once the temp cools down to 300-350, I open he damper back up, and the air control to full open to for about 20-30 mins to get the coals as hot as possible for reloading, again because of my wood. This usually brings the temp back up to 400. I then reload 4-6 splits, which is about a 3/4 load, close the door and wait till the temp climbs to goal of 550-600. I then close the damper, engaging the Cat. After 5 mins or so, I start closing the air control in 2-3 increments every 5 mins or so till about 1/4 open. The temp usually decreases to 400-425 in about 30 mins and stays there for hours.

thanks Jet Mech and Barretdp! Both posts are helpful! read them outloud to the family so we can all learn together. My hubby just had me give him instruction on how to load the stove. He stood there amazed at the little bit of wood that is producing heat! It's mild here, but no other heat on in our 1300 sq. foot first floor over basement. The CAT stove wasn't my first choice BUT when you are buying something you can afford rather than new, that's the way it is. I'm kinda liking the CAT stove now more and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.