Need suggestions for chimney liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
In the attic, I pulled away some insulation to expose the chimney. Wooden framework (plywood & rafter) abuts 1/2" mortar, then brick. So, that doesn't look like 2" clearances...actually zero clearance.

Thank you for pointing this out to me. Due to the age of the chimney, clay tiles, and wanting a safe & sound install...I'm going to insulate the full length of liner, hopefully get it all shoved in.

Any particular type for a low profile, exceptionally strong insulation wrap?

In the attic, I pulled away some insulation to expose the chimney. Wooden framework (plywood & rafter) abuts 1/2" mortar, then brick. So, that doesn't look like 2" clearances...actually zero clearance.

Thank you for pointing this out to me. Due to the age of the chimney, clay tiles, and wanting a safe & sound install...I'm going to insulate the full length of liner, hopefully get it all shoved in.

Any particular type for a low profile, exceptionally strong insulation wrap?
Uh oh. I think you are reaching a dead end here. You won't get a liner of the appropriate size insulated to code down that chimney. And you shouldn't use an undersized liner with your stove. Sounds like you already ordered the custom liner and restored the stove.

When I reached this point, I abandoned the idea of using the classic stove I searched long and hard to find, and decided to just invest in a new stove that would work in my situation. The old stove sits in storage for another day.

I think at this point you are going to make some hard decisions. Install what you have out of code (not a great idea), or buy another stove with a 6" flue. If there is a way to get that 2" of clearances to combustables, that would be another option, but that sounds like a major construction project.

My strong desire to buy that specific old stove before I did all the necessary research cost me $500. I just consider it inventory and the price of an education.

Like i said earlier you may have to down size to be able to insulate. But i would choose downsizing some over running uninsulated. And you only need 2" if the chimney is internal. Which it looked like to me. If it is external you only need 1" which you dont have anyway.

specific old stove before I did all the necessary research cost me $500. I just consider it inventory and the price of an education.
Just wondering what classic stove did you choose?

The original owner of my house heated with a coal stove for decades. It was probably direct connected, with smaller stove outlet. I think it was Jotul, Lange, or Morso, as I vaguely remember the decorative cast enamel animals on the sides.

Last week I did consider just getting a new stove 6" with largest fire view, like Pacific Energy ...but I'm enamored with the Quaker Moravian Parlor stove. I have three of these, a top-flue in the garage, rear-flue for the fireplace, and another rear-flue, black enamel (rare) that I plan to retrofit secondary burn tubes and install later in the basement dungeon man cave.
Screenshot_20171116-214937.png

(Local ad picture)

The two Quaker Box stoves (Fawn & Buck sizes) are to be restored for friends hunting cabins.

Last edited:
Just wondering what classic stove did you choose?

The original owner of my house heated with a coal stove for decades. It was probably direct connected, with smaller stove outlet. I think it was Jotul, Lange, or Morso, as I vaguely remember the decorative cast enamel animals on the sides.

Last week I did consider just getting a new stove 6" with largest fire view, like Pacific Energy ...but I'm enamored with the Quaker Moravian Parlor stove. I have three of these, a top-flue in the garage, rear-flue for the fireplace, and another rear-flue, black enamel (rare) that I plan to retrofit secondary burn tubes and install later in the basement dungeon man cave.View attachment 215974
(Local ad picture)

The two Quaker Box stoves (Fawn & Buck sizes) are to be restored for friends hunting cabins.
80's vintage VC Resolute. Just couldn't make it work with my clearances.

I understand your passion for that lovely old cast iron. My modern stove is utterly charmless in comparison. That is, until I load it with dry wood and have clean glass with a perfect picture of the flames and no smoke. Then that charmless hunk of steel fades into the background, and the fire is the star of the show.

80's vintage VC Resolute. Just couldn't make it work with my clearances.

I understand your passion for that lovely old cast iron. My modern stove is utterly charmless in comparison. That is, until I load it with dry wood and have clean glass with a perfect picture of the flames and no smoke. Then that charmless hunk of steel fades into the background, and the fire is the star of the show.

Bingo.

8" Liner ovalized to 6x10 according to manufacturer.
(7x11 i.d. clay)

Insulation foil $207.90
1/4" x29" x25'
http://www.bellfiresusa.com/parts/foil_face_ceramic_insulation_cera_foil.htm

Wire mesh skin
part# SS710, plus clamps
http://www.bellfiresusa.com/parts/wire_mesh_super_skin.htm

Theoretically total diameter of 6.5" x 10.5". Seems like a really tight fit, too tight ...but it does insulate the liner for entire length.
1/4" insulation does not meet the code requirement you need 1/2".