Need suggestions on heating sunroom (pics)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cocey2002

Dec 28, 2007
Central PA
Hello, I have a 13 X 16 sunroom that is currently being heated by an electric heater that does heat the room but not all that well. My sunroom is not very well insullated so it gets down to whatever temp it is outside. Looking to add either a pellet stove or gas stove (propane). Browsed the quadrafire site and a few others. First question is can either stove be vented staight out (under my widows (19" from floor to directly below window)? I would rather not go up with venting as my roof would have to be cut into. How hot do these stoves get (radiant) my sunroom is vinal? Would a pellet stove such as the castille blow me out of the room with even a thermostat? Added pics. The stove currently in the room is electric and we also have another wall unit electric (motel) heater.
Thanks

Attachments

• 100_0217.jpg
    100_0217.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 2,698
  • 100_0218.jpg
    100_0218.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 2,636
cocey2002 said:
Hello, I have a 13 X 16 sunroom that is currently being heated by an electric heater that does heat the room but not all that well. My sunroom is not very well insullated so it gets down to whatever temp it is outside. Looking to add either a pellet stove or gas stove (propane). Browsed the quadrafire site and a few others. First question is can either stove be vented staight out (under my widows (19" from floor to directly below window)? I would rather not go up with venting as my roof would have to be cut into. How hot do these stoves get (radiant) my sunroom is vinal? Would a pellet stove such as the castille blow me out of the room with even a thermostat? Added pics. The stove currently in the room is electric and we also have another wall unit electric (motel) heater.
Thanks

I cant tell you anything about the venting solutions.....but I have the Castille....I use it to heat the whole downstairs of my house(approx. 760 sq. ft but not an open layout) The Castille is 34,000 BTU's....I dont think it will blow you out of the room.....it has a low, medium, and high setting. I run mine mostly on low and medium. The pics you show and describe I think the Castille would do what you are looking for.

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how yours is vented. I don't see any pipe so I assume that it goes straight out the back and out the house. Does it go up at all or straight out? Also, approx how far up the wall does the pipe start/finish - measured from top of pipe to floor in the back of the unit. Thanks again

cocey2002 said:
Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how yours is vented. I don't see any pipe so I assume that it goes straight out the back and out the house. Does it go up at all or straight out? Also, approx how far up the wall does the pipe start/finish - measured from top of pipe to floor in the back of the unit. Thanks again

Go to this thread link.....theres pics of my install and how its vented.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/13694/

cocey2002 said:
Thanks, very nice stove.

Thanks....we love it and it does what we anticipated....to save $$ on oil! :) No compaints of its output here.

My Empress is vented straight out and terminates 26" from the siding on the outside. I have not had a problem with it sooting up the siding yet, but if it does, I will put a tee on it and go up to the roof - something you wouldn't want to do with all of the windows. I have a 12 X 24 sunroom that is open to the diningroom/livingroom which is where the Empress is. The double paned windows in the sunroom start at 24" off the floor and the wall below the windows is well insulated as is the ceiling so we don't have too much problem heating the sunroom along with the rest of the downstairs (about 1500 sq') with the Empress. I don't think you would have a problem with the heat from the stove damaging the vinyl walls if you are a little generous with the clearances given for whichever stove you decide on. The nice thing about cast iron stoves like the Empress is that the outside of the stove doesn't get all that hot. I can lay the 40# bag of pellets directly on the top of the stove and not worry about melting it if I don't leave it there for more than a minute while I'm filling the hopper.

Status
Not open for further replies.