Need Thermostat Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Misha

Oct 29, 2014
Pascoag RI
Need help with thermostat. I have a Heatilator PS50, used the Luxpro PSM30SA that came with it, I noticed that with this thermostat hooked up the stove Hums for 10 seconds every 7 minutes, when I turn the temp up for heat nothing happens with the stove for about 1 or 2 minutes then it will kick on. Once it reaches the set temp it will kick off, but won't come back on its own. I also have a skytech remote that does the same thing. Very confused.

Sorry no one got back to you and I'm no help ... never bothered to hook up a thermostat on our stove! Hope this catches someone's attention in the morning...

On most pellet stoves I believe that circuit is just a simple on off, make contact, break contact situation. So I would question if maybe the problem is in the stove or circuit board rather than your thermostat. Especially since you have tried two different thermostats coming to the same result. However, I'm not familiar with your particular stove.

On most pellet stoves I believe that circuit is just a simple on off, make contact, break contact situation. So I would question if maybe the problem is in the stove or circuit board rather than your thermostat. Especially since you have tried two different thermostats coming to the same result. However, I'm not familiar with your particular stove.
Exactly what I was thinking as well, the dealer stated to also try setting the control box setting to 3. The factory setting for the heatilators PS 50 and CAB 50 is 2, (which it was set for). The PS 35 setting is 6. So I'm going to try that. I will keep you posted to see if that works... And hope that info helps others that have the same stove. Thanks

CAB 50 Manual has this: (I know it's a different model) It appears to be an adjustment on the thermostat....
Thermostat
The appliance is designed to run on a 12 volt AC thermostat. (can't use one that requires power from the appliance)
The heat anticipator should be set on the lowest setting available. The current rating is .05 amps.

CAB 50 Manual has this: (I know it's a different model) It appears to be an adjustment on the thermostat....
Thermostat
The appliance is designed to run on a 12 volt AC thermostat. (can't use one that requires power from the appliance)
The heat anticipator should be set on the lowest setting available. The current rating is .05 amps.
I Did actually see that and did set the anticipator to the lowest setting. It seems the thermostat in mine is working because when I turn the thermostat up to call for heat I see that the red light on the stove id on which means it is calling for heat, so I wait and wait and then the blower comes on with the red call light still on, but it will not start dropping pellets until I hit the reset button. At that point the Stove fires up, and when the room gets to the set temp it will shut down like it supposed to. And what I have read and heard is that when the stove is calling for heat with the red light on, and it is not dropping pellets, its either the #2 snap disc or a control box issue. I will keep you posted so when I narrow it down I hope it will help someone if they are having the same issue (Hopefully they are not)

Snap disc is a cheaper repair so rule that out first;) .... Do keep us posted.

Thanks Lake Girl... I have a tech coming over on Nov 13th, hopefully he will fix this issue. I will keep everyone posted and let you guys know what the issue was.
Does the stove have another mode you can run in meanwhile ?

Does the stove have another mode you can run in meanwhile ?
Hey Alternate Heat.
Well, the way I'm doing it now is once the stove goes into this cycle it goes into where the blowers will come on every 7 minutes for 30 seconds. When that happens I turn the thermostat up for it to call for heat, at that point the blowers go to high, but at this point it will not feed pellets. So I push the reset switch, at which point the stove will start to drop pellets and the stove will run great at that point. I have the service tech coming over on November 13th.. But from everything I have read and heard I would bet that it is the #2 snap disc or a control box issue. This is a brand new stove I had installed in July.... I gotta tell ya though if you or anyone else is not aware, I got the stove from the American Lung Association wood stove exchange program. If you have a wood stove that is not EPA certified, they will give up to $3,000.00 for an EPA Approved pellet stove or wood burning stove. I'm not sure if it is just for the Northeast, but its worth checking out...

A 12-volt AC thermostat. Typo? The most usual wall thermostat is DC, powered by batteries.

... the American Lung Association wood stove exchange program. If you have a wood stove that is not EPA certified, they will give up to $3,000.00 for an EPA Approved pellet stove or wood burning stove. I'm not sure if it is just for the Northeast, but its worth checking out...
No longer taking applications. One-time funding unlikely, they say, to be repeated. Dang!

No longer taking applications. One-time funding unlikely, they say, to be repeated. Dang!
Oh okay, I didn't know they stopped it. When I got mine I asked them how long they were going to run it, and they said they had 2 million dollars and it will go on util it ran out. I was a great thing for them to do, saved a lot of people a lot of money in more ways than one. :)

This is a brand new stove I had installed in July.... I gotta tell ya though if you or anyone else is not aware, I got the stove from the American Lung Association wood stove exchange program. If you have a wood stove that is not EPA certified, they will give up to $3,000.00 for an EPA Approved pellet stove or wood burning stove. I'm not sure if it is just for the Northeast, but its worth checking out...

Might want to start a new thread with the American Lung Association information. If you have a link, even better:)

New stove?? Dealer is still on warranty so it's their problem.... keep chasing them.

A 12-volt AC thermostat. Typo? The most usual wall thermostat is DC, powered by batteries.
Found the PS50 manual - doesn't have the same text about the 12 volt AC thermostat so likely typo.

Might want to start a new thread with the American Lung Association information. If you have a link, even better:)

New stove?? Dealer is still on warranty so it's their problem.... keep chasing them.

Whit said that the American Lung Association is no longer running the program or I would definitely start a thread on the subject. And you are absolutely right Lake Girl. The stove is brand new and is still under warranty. Thanks :)

I have the same stove. Its a restarting nightmare....

Same issue.. Sometimes, it starts as usual. Others, it calls for heat, light comes on, then, nothin. I switched to another el'cheapo thermostat last night. Cycled thru the night just fine. (thats a first). got home today, red call light on, no fan, no pellets..

BUT, if i turn stat down, then back up, runs a cycle fine. But when the thermostat reconnects, nothin happens... just sits there like my ex-wife, doin nothin with call light on.. no fan, no pellet drop.. Just the call light, taunting me......

Wiggled wires, set on 4 (7058-172 box. will also run on 5 btw), red light comes on inside when up to temp. then a green light ( i hadnt noticed when that kicked in).. oh, on cool down must be, cuz its runnin cooldown now and green is lit.

Thinkin of runnin a doorbell switch into my bedroom to the thermostat to keep the dang thing runnin at night.

Surely this is a common issue... I see i aint the only guy havin this issue.

Why, for the life of us all, does simply turnin the thermostat off then on, does that make it cycle? (btw, i used a nail file to clean contacts too, (old points ignition trick from way back when), had a black finish on it. nice n shiny now)

What you have an issue with the air flow switch. It's bypassed at start up ( hard reset) but during a soft reset such as a call for heat via the thermostat it's getting the signal but not feeding cause the contacts on the flow switch aren't closed. Jump the vac switch for a couple hours and see if the stove runs properly

I have the same stove. Its a restarting nightmare....

Same issue.. Sometimes, it starts as usual. Others, it calls for heat, light comes on, then, nothin. I switched to another el'cheapo thermostat last night. Cycled thru the night just fine. (thats a first). got home today, red call light on, no fan, no pellets..

BUT, if i turn stat down, then back up, runs a cycle fine. But when the thermostat reconnects, nothin happens... just sits there like my ex-wife, doin nothin with call light on.. no fan, no pellet drop.. Just the call light, taunting me......

Wiggled wires, set on 4 (7058-172 box. will also run on 5 btw), red light comes on inside when up to temp. then a green light ( i hadnt noticed when that kicked in).. oh, on cool down must be, cuz its runnin cooldown now and green is lit.

Thinkin of runnin a doorbell switch into my bedroom to the thermostat to keep the dang thing runnin at night.

Surely this is a common issue... I see i aint the only guy havin this issue.

Why, for the life of us all, does simply turnin the thermostat off then on, does that make it cycle? (btw, i used a nail file to clean contacts too, (old points ignition trick from way back when), had a black finish on it. nice n shiny now)
Wow DJ, I can't believe it either. I have the dealer coming over next week to see what's going on. When I get some info from him on this issue I will pass it on to you. But your right, it don't make any sense why it does this. You would think it would just cycle onHo
What you have an issue with the air flow switch. It's bypassed at start up ( hard reset) but during a soft reset such as a call for heat via the thermostat it's getting the signal but not feeding cause the contacts on the flow switch aren't closed. Jump the vac switch for a couple hours and see if the stove runs properly
Thanks, Ho

Wow DJ, I can't believe it either. I have the dealer coming over next week to see what's going on. When I get some info from him on this issue I will pass it on to you. But your right, it don't make any sense why it does this. You would think it would just cycle onHo

Thanks, Ho
How do I do that with by passing the vaccine, is it something I could do. ???

How do I do that with by passing the vaccine, is it something I could do. ???
Remove the two wires from the air flow switch and join them together with a paper clip and some electrical tape. These units are known to have faulty flow switches

The vac switch essentially stops the stove from running if empty, correct?

Ill top it off and run it tonight. Next week's gonna get cold so gettin this finicky thing fixed ahead of time.

Tired of bein up at 2am freezing my manhood off to babysit this thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.