Need thoughts on creosote in new liner w/ 6 week pics.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodpileOCD

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2011
Central NC
I installed a new liner about 6 weeks ago and went up today to take a look to see how much buildup I had and here is what I found. I have NO experience with liners and creosote buildup so looking for help. I do know what it used to look like with my slammer install and clay liner and there used to be the glaze type at the top.

Some info. While I was waiting for the perlite insulation, that I was debating using after I ordered it, to get here, life happened and it is still uninsulated at this point. The top cap shows no buildup at all on the lower portion of the screen as you can see. All of the buildup is a very fine powdery type that I brushed off with my finger in the second picture and then used a soft brass brush I had to get a better contrasting picture of the liner.

Is this a lot? I have been burning 24/7 since it went in with very little activity during the warmer days and all of the wood I'm using is 20% or less. I know the liner is not going to stay perfectly clean but is there a 'normal' level that builds up and stays there or will this continue to build. It seems like a lot to me but like I said, no experience with liner buildup. This is an outside masonry chimney about 20'. I'm about to get back to the insulating part but am wondering if it will really make that much difference here. Thanks

Here is a link to the install thread. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/84695/P0/

Attachments

• liner condition 6 weeks-4.jpg
    liner condition 6 weeks-4.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1,161
  • liner condition 6 weeks.jpg
    liner condition 6 weeks.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 375
  • liner condition 6 weeks-3.jpg
    liner condition 6 weeks-3.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 395
I'd say no worries.

Normal is a widely opinionated term. But what I see looks like flyash, and looks normal to me. Dry and fluffy is good. The blacker and harder and shinier is the worst. What you have, I get at the top also, as the top is the coolest part. Especially anything sticking out of the old masonry. This winter, with it being for the most part milder than usual, I suspect many will have more accumulation due to more cold starts, or lower burn temps. The indicator to me, is the screen. Looks great to me. Maybe check it again in another 6 weeks. Burn on.

I agree it's not too bad. You should get it insulated as soon as you get time. All in all, that's too bad at all....

Looks just like mine always does.

I'll be interested to hear what you find after insulating it.

As others have said, what is shown there is not bad at all. That said, it still is a type of creosote. Never hurts to run a brush through it no matter how much buildup is there.

pen

Hogwildz said:
Normal is a widely opinionated term. But what I see looks like flyash, and looks normal to me. Dry and fluffy is good. The blacker and harder and shinier is the worst. What you have, I get at the top also, as the top is the coolest part. Especially anything sticking out of the old masonry. This winter, with it being for the most part milder than usual, I suspect many will have more accumulation due to more cold starts, or lower burn temps. The indicator to me, is the screen. Looks great to me. Maybe check it again in another 6 weeks. Burn on.

Yea, I've been watching the screen from the ground. BrotherBart suggested the super duper hinged chimney cap for a couple of reasons but one of them was that it was so easy to see the screen from the ground. I've been watching it with a pair of binoculars but wanted to see what the rest looked like. I'm pleased with the good opinions to my post and am wondering about the insulation at all. I've had some trepidation about pouring the perlite in there anyway since some discussion on here. Right now it isn't even sealed at the top. I may just stuff some Roxul down about a foot and seal the cap.

Looks fine to me . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.