Need tips on how to pre-order pellets for next year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The delivery services don't service my area and, per usual, the BBs are unreliable with regard to consistent suppliers. I've pretty much settled on early buying Lignetics backed up by TSC horse bedding pellets. Of course I'll check in whenever I pass a place that has them but I won't stress or obsess over it. Can't do what I can't do.

Dealers have different policies regarding pre-buy. My advice to you would be to call around to pellet distributors in your area and ask them what their pre-buy policy is if they even have one.

Thank you Tim.

I'm guessing that since no one has chimed in with a way to find out what specific stores a certain pellet is distributed from, that it is a crap shoot and I have to do a lot of leg work. Tried to find info on the FSU's but their website is not as good as I would like it to be.

Would it be feasible for a group of people in an area to buy a truckload of their own directly from a distributor?

I buy my pellets from the same place I bought my stove.

Wood and Pellet stove dealers are a good place to pre-order..
I had 5 tons in my basement by August on the Pre-buy..
btw: I own a truck but only a half toner...
I;m sure many of you have a friend or relative who might lend you the're 1 ton pickup for half a day or so to pick up your pellets to avoid delivery charges..
My friend and I swap Trucks on a Summer Saturday for a few hours and that's when I get all Winter stash with his Larger Truck.

Not sure if this is correct but I think I read that HD will do free rental truck for 4 hrs if you Spend over a certain amount on merchandise of any kind. pellets included.

Last edited:
Reactions: bogieb
I got a 2015 Tundra. I'm not sure whetther it would be classified as a 1/2 or 3/4 ton. Either way, I can't get a full ton in the bed but I got a trailer that haul it.

Thank you Tim.

I'm guessing that since no one has chimed in with a way to find out what specific stores a certain pellet is distributed from, that it is a crap shoot and I have to do a lot of leg work. Tried to find info on the FSU's but their website is not as good as I would like it to be.
I've called several manufacturers. Essentially they say that they sell to whomever wants to buy and that list varies. They don't have any set distribution network. Some will sell for local pickup but since none are local to me it doesn't matter. Even my stove guys get different pellets season to season and they won't sell test bags. After my first several years of chasing pellets I found a local hardware that had a consistent supply of Lignetics. Maybe not perfection but works well enough that, given the supply and characteristics, I can buy early and rest easy for the winter.

Reactions: bogieb
On a related, (for me), note, I just ordered a tri-axle load of logs for the insert. :)
Sort of like pellet pre-buy, only before they became pellets. :)

At my previous house there was just pre-load; load (the truck with someone's unwanted logs), unload, split (the ex did that), stack and haul (my jobs). Only pre-buy involved was for gasoline for the truck, chainsaw and splitter - LOL

Wood and Pellet stove dealers are a good place to pre-order..

Not sure if this is correct but I think I read that HD will do free rental truck for 4 hrs if you Spend over a certain amount on merchandise of any kind. pellets included.

Hmm, will have to look into the free truck rental thing. I need a bunch of sheetrock and stuff and don't want to have to pay delivery for that (or have to talk to the ex to use his truck). And, if they get in FSU's again next year, I would get a couple of tons. All depends on how much you have to spend, but that is easy enough to find out.

When I burned wood I pre-bought. The spring before needing wood we bought the house and acreage the wood grew on. We then paid the Bank and tax fella each year and cut the wood.

This first year with pellets I tried several and then chose a couple that suited the purpose. Those we bought as we could and stocked what used to be the enclosed and vented wood shed.

With an eye to next year we simply did a google search within a 50 mile radius of home and made a list of lumber yards, stove shops, hardware stores ect. In March I will begin dialing for pellets, buy two brands based on this years experience and pay for 4 ton. Will buy as I burn an additional ton as next season progresses with an eye to the following year.

My ONLY pellet criteria is that they burn hot enough to warm us. I expect to clean the stove. After decades of dealing with wood a twice even three time a week cleaning schedule is no problemo. The one time so far I was annoyed at cleaning I simply looked over at the Soap Stone Stove still sitting in the "fire" room as a plant stand. I quickly became less annoyed.

I got a 2015 Tundra. I'm not sure whetther it would be classified as a 1/2 or 3/4 ton. Either way, I can't get a full ton in the bed but I got a trailer that haul it.
my friend lends me his 1 ton Chevy Pickup which handles 2 ton very well.
Truck stays very even..
of course I only have to go less than a mile to and back to the Storage Bldg where dealer keeps the pellets As I would never jump on a freeway overloaded like the pix.
[my little Toyota in the front of pix]
Pellets go thru the removed windows into the basement.

Attachments

• 10151137_839547302729343_7793896227391643054_n.jpg
    10151137_839547302729343_7793896227391643054_n.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 121
I can get nearly 40 bags in the back of my 4x4 Ranger shortbed extended cab....it just rides a bit lower than normal. I probably could have put the other 10 in the front cab behind the seats....but I'd only had enough money for 40 bags.

I can haul nearly 5 tons in a trailer but can only carry 1500 lbs in the truck which includes passengers.

Starting in late August, Madame DeFarge and I start haunting the local HD, just waiting for the first pellet shipment to arrive. Usually, among the crap pellets, they end up getting in a good one. Last year and the year before I was very happy with FSUs. This year I took home Heatr's, and they are great. I would love to preorder at a discount, but the only local option besides HD is a stove dealer whose prices - even at a discount - are way too high. So far this has worked for me.

Starting in late August, Madame DeFarge and I start haunting the local HD, just waiting for the first pellet shipment to arrive. Usually, among the crap pellets, they end up getting in a good one. Last year and the year before I was very happy with FSUs. This year I took home Heatr's, and they are great. I would love to preorder at a discount, but the only local option besides HD is a stove dealer whose prices - even at a discount - are way too high. So far this has worked for me.
HD here doesn't even get Anything in till at least October...
this years score? Douglas Fir Blazers from Oregon just happened to pop in one day..
Bought 30 bags since already had 5 tons in the basement and barely anymore room
don't know how they made any money on that deal selling same price as the're usual low end stuff. 5.16 Bag.
shipping cost had to be costly...other than Blazers, everything else pretty much shoulder stuff..
btw: I burn shoulder stuff during the day All winter since we get lot of sun with no trees in the way. usually warms things a bit..Never as cold as nightime.
I throw in the Better stuff in the late evening thru overnite when it really get's colder.

e="Tonyray, post: 1884288, member: 30937"]seriously?
I woud go into dropping a deposit down for early buy dealers but somehow I don't think your really asking that....?o_O[/quote]
Pre-buy is grammatically incorrect. It's like pre-board. You can't get IN (Not ON) a plane before you get in a plane. You CAN put in an order or place a deposit but by definition once one pays for something it is bought!

e="Tonyray, post: 1884288, member: 30937"]seriously?
I woud go into dropping a deposit down for early buy dealers but somehow I don't think your really asking that....?o_O
Pre-buy is grammatically incorrect. It's like pre-board. You can't get IN (Not ON) a plane before you get in a plane. You CAN put in an order or place a deposit but by definition once one pays for something it is bought![/quote]
Ok Einstien.. your right..
but did you have to embarass me in front of the whole board?

just PREtending..;lol

Pre-buy is grammatically incorrect. It's like pre-board. You can't get IN (Not ON) a plane before you get in a plane. You CAN put in an order or place a deposit but by definition once one pays for something it is bought!
Ok Einstien.. your right..
but did you have to embarass me in front of the whole board?

just PREtending..;lol
Tony I NEVER implied anything like PREmature. . . . . . ;)

Actually I'm a student of the late George Carlin . . . . .

Reactions: Tonyray
"Don't sweat the petty stuff. And don't pet the sweaty stuff."

- George Carlin

Reactions: Tonyray
"I went to the bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Where's the self help section." She said if she told me it would defeat the purpose."

Not only Carlin but applicable here.

Your serve

My completely un-expert opinion: if you live where pellet supply is scarce, it might be prudent pre-buy from a reliable, trusted vendor. Otherwise I don't see any reason to rush into any early deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.