Need tips on how to support 3 sections of class A

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rippinryno

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2015
united states
Ok, so i'm running a ghetto setup right now, although it works, i'm having to clean the pipe out more often that i would prefer....mostly just for precautions, however it does seem to build creosote fast being stove pipe outside.

I have 3 sections of class A and a tee, currently already have class A going through the wall. I'm wondering how I can support these three sections outside of the building. I cannot use a wall support bracket because the pipe needs to come out far enough to clear the overhang from the building. If i did not have an overhang, I would simply use the wall brace that they make. So, it comes out about 2 ft from the exterior wall, then I need to go into a tee and straight up with three sections. Can i support it from the ground. this is about 7ft from the ground where the bottom of the tee sits. I know i will need to use a roof support for the higher sections, but need to know hwo to support all of the weight and still be able to access a cleanout.

thank you,

You can look for an extended wall support or you can use a
pair of offsets to get you clear of the soffit, or both.
You will need a short length of Class A between the offsets.

what are the offsets? like the 45 degree offset pieces? is supporting from the ground really not an option? I'm not opposed to finding an extended wall support if it actually extends far enough.

You can't use Class A 45 degree offsets in the US.
You have to use 15 degree or 30 degree types.
Who is the manufacturer of your Class A?

ok, i have no idea who manufactured the one that's going through the wall i'll haev to check. not even sure if the stuff i picked up is the same brand but the fittings look the exact same so i think it will work. i would prefer not to run offsets as that gets very pricey very fast. wondering if anybody has rigged up a solid support or something along the lines of what i'mt rying to do.

Use their brackets and fab up some extensions out of metal or make a frame that goes from the overhang to the ground and attach your supports to that.

ok, i have no idea who manufactured the one that's going through the wall i'll haev to check. not even sure if the stuff i picked up is the same brand but the fittings look the exact same so i think it will work. i would prefer not to run offsets as that gets very pricey very fast. wondering if anybody has rigged up a solid support or something along the lines of what i'mt rying to do.
Actually i have a different sugestion that will work better return that tee and get a support box and flashing and just run it straight up that would mean only one elbow at the back of the stove and no horizontal run and it would probably end up costing you less

yeah i thought about that except i already made a fricking hole in the wall lol. not that it would be hard to seal that back up, but with a brand new metal roof i'm told there are challenges getting that flashed in correctly as well. also i think i would need 2 thimbles one for the roof outlet and one for the attic entrance...

i think i would need 2 thimbles one for the roof outlet and one for the attic entrance...
Nope just a support box and attic insulation shield for the ceiling and then flashing for the roof. I do them on metal all the time and generally have no problems. Yes it is harder than shingle but still very doable.

yeah i thought about that except i already made a fricking hole in the wall lol. not that it would be hard to seal that back up, but with a brand new metal roof i'm told there are challenges getting that flashed in correctly as well. also i think i would need 2 thimbles one for the roof outlet and one for the attic entrance...
It is an idea to consider not that you have to but it will make the stove work better

yeah, i'll definitely have to think about it, the reason we went out the side was because the roof is brand new and i just could not let myself cut into a 3 month old roof lol. at this point i'm almost set to do this, but plan to wait until summer however i want to get everything I need all put together so that i'm ready when the time comes. Currently my draw is fine and that is with single wall on the outside. i notice the colder it gets the better my draw gets. i'm wondering about somehow extending a wall mount with square stock steel, it's not got to be too far out, but definitely 2 feet.

I would go with what the manufacture suggests to use. I just installed my stove and went with a Super Vent class A chimney. I'm not sure if you are supposed to run class A through the wall. I thought you had to use a wall thimble. I was considering running my thru the wall also but decided to just run right out the top and thru the roof. I had to deal with a drop ceiling in this old house so I had to build a support frame for the ceiling support mount.

yeah, i'll definitely have to think about it, the reason we went out the side was because the roof is brand new and i just could not let myself cut into a 3 month old roof lol. at this point i'm almost set to do this, but plan to wait until summer however i want to get everything I need all put together so that i'm ready when the time comes. Currently my draw is fine and that is with single wall on the outside. i notice the colder it gets the better my draw gets. i'm wondering about somehow extending a wall mount with square stock steel, it's not got to be too far out, but definitely 2 feet.
Extending the brackets with welded square stock has been done. Someone posted this many years ago. He painted them silver and the overall look was pretty nice.

Running the pipe vertically through the ceiling will give the stove the best draft and also burn more cleanly. I do not believe there is a extended wall support that would extend the amount desired, it looks like a on site custom tee support will have to be fabricated.

Status
Not open for further replies.