Need to clean the fp stone before install.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
Okay, going forward with our woodburner purchase requires lots of 'first steps'. The VERY first one is we have to clean the lannonstone face on our fireplace. What products are suggested? We have minor soot marks but 'yellowing' from interior environment (cooking/cigaretts/oil forced air heat, etc) in this 1950's home. Part of the stone wall is in the kitchen, hence the yellowing stains. This is feather edge lannonstone - very soft edges on some pieces - so we can't scrub real hard on it.

Shari

I sincerely hope you don't mind Shari and I don't want to pick, but I think your first requirement would be to get some fuel on hand. That way it can be seasoning while you are getting ready. This is the area where 99.9% of the people go wrong.

Oh, I already have that.......:)

Shari

maybe some of that clorox with bleach cleaner. It worked great on the walls and ceilings in a restaurant I worked at.

I know I could use TSP but with allergies and stuff I would rather stay away from that....

Shari

Shari said:
I know I could use TSP but with allergies and stuff I would rather stay away from that....

Shari

Well then, maybe wood is a bad choice,--specially if you are thinking of living at least a thousand years :smirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.