Need to cure paint on new install quickly...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmore

Burning Hunk
Jun 14, 2014
Baltimore MD
Hey All,
I have finished my install on a freshly painted Buck 91 insert. I want to cure the paint today so I can use it for real heat tonight as it is now 25f overnight. Is it possible to cure new paint in a few hours. I have seen many methods suggested from two 20 min fires and a 1 hour high burn, to having 3 medium burns over 3 days. Has anyone successfully cured quickly? Any suggestions for me? Thanks!

Is it a new stove or just new paint?

If its a new stove you should go slow and do a few small fires letting the stive cool between them.

If its just paint, let her rip. Ie it doesnt really matter other than the smell

Build a small, fire of 2" wood, maybe 4-5 sticks. Let it go out and cool down a bit. Then build a mid-sized fire. Take the stove top up to 500F. Paint will be baking. Third fire can be a full load.

Is it a new stove or just new paint?

If its a new stove you should go slow and do a few small fires letting the stive cool between them.

If its just paint, let her rip. Ie it doesnt really matter other than the smell

Thanks, old stove with new paint job...

Status
Not open for further replies.