Need to extend chimney - advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

claybe

Feeling the Heat
Nov 13, 2008
Colorado
I have a BK princess insert. I have about 13 feet of stainless steel pipe through a brick chimney. I know that BK suggests double wall but that wasn't in the cards. I do not have a block off plate and the single wall is not insulated in the chimney. I have learned more about burning this stove this year after 3 seasons. I keep the temp dial at a little below 50% and it has worked good. I think it could work better though. I think I need to first add an extension to the chimney, but I have not found a way to do that. Can anyone recommend an extension and how to install this? Pictures? I have done all the dollar bill tests and everything is tight. I think it could be more efficient with a few slight modifications.

Well start off by insulating the liner and installing a block off plate then you can extend the chimney with a piece of class a chimney and an anchor plate. No point in modifying anything until you fix what you have now

Reactions: webby3650
Well start off by insulating the liner and installing a block off plate then you can extend the chimney with a piece of class a chimney and an anchor plate. No point in modifying anything until you fix what you have now
Right on the money. Do the simple things first, insulation and block off plate.

Right on the money. Do the simple things first, insulation and block off plate.
Yes and i am pretty sure they will make more of a difference than adding a couple feet anyway. I am positive the insulation will make a big difference

I know that BK suggests double wall but that wasn't in the cards.
They want double wall connector pipe not liner single wall is just fine but it needs to be insulated

What kind of insulation? What do I use for a block off plate? I imagine I will have to pull the whole stove out to do all of this. That doesn't sound like fun!

What kind of insulation?
Ul listed liner insulation what would be best for you would be foil faced mineral wool

What do I use for a block off plate?
Galvanized sheet metal

I imagine I will have to pull the whole stove out to do all of this. That doesn't sound like fun!
Yeah and the liner but it will make a huge difference in the efficency of the stove and the heat output due to the fact that you will be heating your house and not your chimney

Where do you buy the insulation?
Any where you would buy a liner get a kit it will come with the insulation tape glue and wire mesh to do the job right

Reactions: Heatsource
I still haven't pulled the trigger on insulating the chimney just because I don't know where to get the insulation. Are there preferred brands? Is there a thread that details this process? I am not afraid of doing this but I want to do it right.

Most major stainless chimney liner supply companies sell insulation blanket kits. There are several online sources. Search for chimney liner. Before ordering be sure there is room in the chimney for adding the blanket. It will increase the pipe diameter by ~2". Instructions for putting in a block off plate are in the articles section and there is also a wiki article on the topic with several links to threads showing DIY installs.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/making_a_block_off_plate/
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/block-off-plate-why-damper-seal-is-needed/?noRedirect=1

To insulate u would have to pull the liner out that sound s tough especially since he doesn't want to move the stove

Status
Not open for further replies.