Need to extend my hearth out another foot or so...do I rip out the brick?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jboudreau

Sep 8, 2010
Central Ma
Hi Guys,

I am getting my hearth ready for a fireplace insert (which I am still unsure of what I want)

But realize that my hearth is currently not sticking out far enough for any of the inserts I'm looking at. (Napoleon 1402, Hearthstone Clydsdale, osburn 2400, BK princess)

The current hearth was built pretty much flush to the 3/4 oak flooring. The oak flooring has been ripped out as part of the rehab, but is being replaced (still 3/4 inch)

My question is can I just add the micore, and durock to get up to the current height of the rest of the brick hearth, and then tile over the brick, or should I chisel out the old brick hearth and rebuild it all?

I am concerned that if I just add an extension to my existing hearth, that the tiles might crack on the seam between the brick of the existing hearth, and the new extension of micore and durock

Thanks for the help.

Jay

How about 3/4" micore on the subfloor (to bring it up to the brick) and then Durock over everything (the micore on the floor and right over the old brick too). Your hearth will be raised by the height of one sheet of Durock but that way the tile will set on one monobody sheet of underlayment.

Status
Not open for further replies.