Need to find a wall register

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bayshorecs

Sep 28, 2008
Central Illinois
So I spent yesterday cutting a pass through hole at the stairwell to allow the heat to move to the upstairs better. Great results. Used to be around 65F and now it is 71-73F with the stove and fans running.

the problem is I cut the darn hole too big! I used the cardboard backing as a pattern not realizing it was too big. Now I need to find a register with outside dims around 26" x 14" or a little larger. Anyone know of where I can find one? the local big boxes only go up to 24"x12".

Sheet metal shop can make you anything you need, or get it made for you. I got some custom-sized filtered air returns made once. Turned out real nice. Rick

If it were me, I'd take a 1/2 by 3 piece of oak, and "frame" in the register. Or use the same trim that you have around your windows. Build it to fit the register, then attach it to the register with liquid nails, then attach the entire assembly to the wall with 2 screws so you can remove it later if need be.

I have seen some people use the grating used to make radiator surrounds for this purpose. Just cut a piece to fit and use picture frame molding or match the other molding in the house to cover the edges.

Just dug through lowes.com and found a large range of register options. They have a 16x30 for under $30 including shipping. I think i might go that route since it would match the rest of the house.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.