1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Need to find pellet sifter: Need to sift dust from a few tons of pellets

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by bit_flores, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swalz

swalz Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Newark, DE
    I did the same thing but with a 40 lb bucket and a 28 lb bucket under it to collect the dust. Took awhile to drill all to holes but it works.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. hyip1206

hyip1206 New Member

Loc:
    Meredith NH
    NICE !!! 40LBS at a whack is good I have to do it in split shifts, but I was suprised in how much sawdust there is in a bag a pellets
  3. pegdot

pegdot New Member

Loc:
    Upstate, SC
    I broke down this week and bought the plans for a dust vacuum. I got all the parts and assembled it yesterday only to discover that my old shop vac doesn't have enough power to make it work. :red: Guess I'm going vac shopping today. I've been wanting a new one anyway.

I've been spending some time reading the forums over at iburncorn.com and I've got to admit I'm impressed with some of the contraptions those guys have come up with to clean and move their corn. They are giving me WAY too many ideas! lol If this dust vac doesn't work I'll be putting together one of those kan_burn things. They've even got me thinking that I need to cobble together a cyclone to put between the vac and the duster. Ya'll check the site out if you haven't already!
  4. pegdot

pegdot New Member

Loc:
    Upstate, SC
    I got the new vac, a 5 hp, and hooked it up to the cleaner contraption. Works like a charm! Actually better than I expected it to. Turns out those sorry pellets I have that I thought weren't shiny actually are once you get all the dust off them. :coolgrin:

Still have to build a stand for it and figure out a way to suspend a bucket of pellets over the funnel and have them fall in but that should be a minor job.
  5. Bassdogs wife

Bassdogs wife New Member

Loc:
    central ma
    Peggy -

How much did this cost you including the plans? I'm interested ;-)
  6. pegdot

pegdot New Member

Loc:
    Upstate, SC
    The fittings and the 3" pipe cost me about $25 at my local hardware store. (I already had enough 2" pipe.) I've been cleaning a bag a day since I put it together and it looks like it's time to clean the filter on my vac. I'm surprised given how dusty these pellets are that it hasn't clogged up a lot faster. The really good news is that I'm not getting those annoying noises out of my auger any more! :cheese:

Check you PM's.
  7. ktfinch2000

ktfinch2000 New Member

Loc:
    Coventry, Rhode Island
  8. ktfinch2000

ktfinch2000 New Member

Loc:
    Coventry, Rhode Island
  9. ugenetoo

ugenetoo New Member

Loc:
    northern maine
    now all you have to do is rig your kan-burn up so you kan=move pellets from a one ton tote bag into the stove and eliminate the plastic bags. then you will really be cooking!
  10. woodsman23

woodsman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western southern tier of NYS
    Why not just install a steel mesh used for door or window screen on the end of your vac (in a bag style) as as you pour out the bag into say a 5 gallon bucket have the vac on to get most of the dust as the pellets fall. Then check to see if it worked and if not so well then repeat. Just a thought
  11. iceman

iceman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Springfield Ma (western mass)
    what i did couple years back was go to walmart buy a wire mesh paper holder thing found in home office bought a nice big one for 3 bucks ... dump most of my bag in the stove then the end where most fines are would pour in this thing and BINGO no more fines they all fall through leaving me with fine-less pellets!
  12. PA  Harman  P 61A

PA Harman P 61A New Member

Loc:
    Lancaster County PA
    Let me get back to you my local Harman dealer had a sifter at their store, I will check on it for you and send a note back
  13. TacoBello

TacoBello New Member

Loc:
    south shore, cape, ma
    I did this same project 3 weeks ago. it sounds similar to my design. i used masonry galvanized mesh, left over from my fireplace veneer project. Some side boards left over the the leafs of the old dinner table. 2x4 scraps and screws. Is this what you did ?

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.