Need to identify old Englander

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ja_cain

Jan 31, 2014
Virginia
I'm giving my buddy my old gas insert. Burning in an open fireplace until funds allow for a stove purchase. My buddy offered to let me have his old Englander stove. It has a 6" adapter on top and thought about going a head and installing a liner and running this thing until I can purchase/find the stove I really want. Is this an OK stove for an old smoke dragon? What model is it as he cant tell me and has not removed it yet to see if it has an info plate on it. Can it be easily converted to a single door with glass window setup? Thanks a lot in advance for any help/advice you folks may have.

18b0585d025e5eb55f5a7e717cc7540d.jpg

I bought an Englander just like that (Legs instead of Pedestal) from a friend in Virginia who was moving.
It was like new, only being used three times.
It had Glass in the doors and also iron "Horseshoe" inserts like yours, I assume, in case the owner preferred them.
I brought it to Kentucky when I moved last June.
Last week I sold it to my son-in-law's parents.
He thinks he should have paid me more than the $500 he did.
After seeing it doing its business, I have to agree with him that it is a pretty good stove.
I wish I could have kept it.
But I have a Fisher Mama Bear that will go in my cabin project when the weather warms.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. Do you know what kind of burn times he is getting? My buddy was talking it up like it would have enough hot coals in it in the morning to get a fire going again. He is just using in a "slammer" config, but I would most likely run a 6" liner all the way up. I would be cool if I could source the glass inserts for the doors too.

I don't have his # but I will be visiting late next week and I'll ask him about over-night burns.
As far as the glass goes, I would measure the "horseshoe" inserts and order glass of the same dimensions.
This site looks like a good bet.

https://www.onedayglass.com/

Not cheap but PyroCeram glass is not cheap, period.

I had an opportunity to speak with my daughter this afternoon & I asked her how the in-laws liked the stove.
Specifically, about all-night burns.

She said that the stove burns all night leaving the house warm in the morning, with plenty of coals to build a fire.
She told me, "He can't believe he was looking to buy an Ashley Wood Circulator Heater for 3 times the money."
She said, "He told me that he wouldn't take $5,000 for it, if offered."

It just looked like a good stove to me or I would not have bought.
I believe you have a decent Wood Stove there...

I'l try to get a picture of this one & post it when I get up there in Hartford, KY.

You are the man! Thank you so much for the info. Now I am excited and looking forward to getting it. BTW, thanks for the link to the glass source. I will check into it and see if that sounds like a realistic modification based on the price.

JC

Here's a pic of this stove with the glass. No fire in it.
Your's looks like it is set on a hearth, half way into a fireplace.
I had a setup like that.

Attachments

• 19700101_180205.jpg
    19700101_180205.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 1,063
  • 19700101_180133.jpg
    19700101_180133.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 2,260
  • 19700101_180146.jpg
    19700101_180146.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 948
Last edited:
Thanks guys! Looks like 8" flue collar which would stink as I want to do the 6" so I can upgrade to a newer stove later on and reuse the liner. I need to get over to his house and check it out. Is there a way to do a single door setup on it? Upon further inspection, looks like it isn't exactly the same as xraycers stove as his is a free stander. The insert may still have the 6" collar on it.

With that being a double door you would have your work cut out for you trying to make it a single door with glass, you would have more time and money into R&D than just buying a new englander insert (which btw would come with a 6" collar :) )

I hear you. I would love to be able to fit a 30-NCH in my fireplace but don't think it will happen. Not sure how their inserts stack up to the other inserts available. This is what I have to work with.

b3537d76fe54742bc9c93c1bc98f9093.jpg

They still make a good no frills budget line insert, just like the stoves it puts out heat at an affordable price point.

I know, they are just on the smallish side. I have an 1800 square foot ranch with a decent size vaulted ceiling family room. Not sure what kind of burn times I can get with that puppy. Need to do some research. Thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.