Need to install new door seal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moraus143

Aug 22, 2006
I just bought a used Kodiak wood burning stove for my workshop. It's in excellent shape except it's missing the door seal. The channel looked pretty big so I bought a large seal but it was too big. I don't want to keep traveling back and forth trying different sizes - can anyone tell me how to determine what size seal to buy?

Do you know which model Kodiak it is?

Big Mike said:
I just bought a used Kodiak wood burning stove for my workshop. It's in excellent shape except it's missing the door seal. The channel looked pretty big so I bought a large seal but it was too big. I don't want to keep traveling back and forth trying different sizes - can anyone tell me how to determine what size seal to buy?

Some older stoves had no door seal - Fisher for one. Metal against metal, or at least close enough.

In the absense of a 1/2 round door channel, my guess is that it would use a flat tape - usually something like 3/4 by 1/8" or even 1/2" x 1/8". Since this is wide, you have a large gluing area - sometimes on the door, other times on the frame.

Of course, Kodiak is still in biz, so you can send them pic or model number and maybe get a more accurate answer.

http://www.alaskastove.com/

I've looked the whole stove over and can't find anything that tells me a model number. There are tags on it but they mostly are safety warnings. The stove dimensions are 27.5 inches wide and 25 inches deep. There are two doors and the dimensions of the channel where the seal goes is 20.5" od wide X 10.5" od high. The channel is 3/4" ID wide X approx. 1/4" deep. Does that help?

Status
Not open for further replies.