1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Need to install new door seal

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by moraus143, Aug 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moraus143

moraus143 New Member

I just bought a used Kodiak wood burning stove for my workshop. It's in excellent shape except it's missing the door seal. The channel looked pretty big so I bought a large seal but it was too big. I don't want to keep traveling back and forth trying different sizes - can anyone tell me how to determine what size seal to buy?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Do you know which model Kodiak it is?
  3. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Some older stoves had no door seal - Fisher for one. Metal against metal, or at least close enough.

In the absense of a 1/2 round door channel, my guess is that it would use a flat tape - usually something like 3/4 by 1/8" or even 1/2" x 1/8". Since this is wide, you have a large gluing area - sometimes on the door, other times on the frame.

Of course, Kodiak is still in biz, so you can send them pic or model number and maybe get a more accurate answer.

http://www.alaskastove.com/
  4. moraus143

moraus143 New Member

I've looked the whole stove over and can't find anything that tells me a model number. There are tags on it but they mostly are safety warnings. The stove dimensions are 27.5 inches wide and 25 inches deep. There are two doors and the dimensions of the channel where the seal goes is 20.5" od wide X 10.5" od high. The channel is 3/4" ID wide X approx. 1/4" deep. Does that help?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.