1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Need to plant a durable lawn this spring

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Badfish740, Feb 19, 2013.

1. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    you'd be sued for damages and destruction of real and private property here

I've done the perfect pristine manicured lawn thing .
    I dug up my front lawn and use it for growing vegetables now
    Not all of it but a little more each and every year
    Probably not less work, but I've donated 50 butternut squash to the local food pantry at Thanksgiving.
    A drop in the bucket, but Hungry people need that more than a view.
    Also planting more trees, bushes and continually cutting back on lawn area
    I'd like to not have any grass at all.
    Adios Pantalones and abrucerd like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Scols

Scols Member

Loc:
    Springs New York
    My wife is in the process of doing the same as you, thats why she likes having clover around. It attracts bees which are so good for the whole growing process. We figure if we are going to go through the trouble of growing and maintaining something it should at least be edible.
    Grisu, Adios Pantalones and abrucerd like this.
  3. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Not a big fan of dumping all kinds of chemicals on a lawn . . . even less of a fan of spending all kinds of time trying to have the prettiest lawn on the block when there are so many other worthwhile things to do in life.

My lawn is simply whatever grows up . . . some grass, some clover, some weeds . . . it's green, it's soft and from a distance it looks fine. I mow it and weedbeat. My friends come down and pitch a tent on it and we may have a rousing volleyball game on it . . . it will never be pictured in Lawns Monthly . . . but it also doesn't look like an overgrown field.

That said . . . to each their own. Some folks like a beautiful, manicured lawn . . . it's their thing. Others not so much. It's all good.
    abrucerd likes this.
  4. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    I'm not a fan of lawns. I throw down seed in the fall on occasion- liberally spiked with clover, trying to keep erosion down. I fertilize with rabbit food and compost- way better for the soil than chem applications. I'm a fan of the "grow food, not lawns" approach.

[​IMG]
    basod, abrucerd and Scols like this.
  5. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    My neighbor calls his lawn "multicultural" with all the various weeds and clover. No chems here either. Corn gluten and lime. The lawn violets are a pain to get rid of though. I usually lay in the grass and hand dig them out and a beer within reach.

I made these weeders from a piece of turned cherry and sawzall demo blades expoxied into them.

DSC01790.JPG
    Adios Pantalones likes this.
  6. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    I like the violets. I mean- they're violets!
    Scols and firefighterjake like this.
  7. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Even weeds look nice when they are freshly mowed. I've got a muddy back yard that has to be regraded and replanted. Maybe this spring if I have all my wood c/s/s.
  8. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Colorado- near the Divide
    Heh,.. I'm just hoping that Zoysia I stuck in the ground is as nasty as Butcher and others have stated. I WANT it to spread, and I never walk barefoot outside here anyways. As far as the yellow dead color, it'll match the hills at that time of year so no worries.
  9. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado
    I would also recommend this. I it is drought tolerant and it is pretty tough. Just know that the blades are thicker than blue grass but it will hold up under use.
  10. backpack09

backpack09 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Whitman, Mass