Need to replace firebox-suggestions needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varuffolo

Mar 15, 2014
Michigan-Virginia
Not sure what would be the most efficient way to heat this 2 story 1000sq ft home. Want to replace with a wood burning insert and want to heat all rooms with this if possible. Old box is rusted and we need to do some repair work on the bricks also. Any suggestions are greatly welcome.

Fire Box.JPG burning  support  beams.jpg

Attachments

• fireplace layout & heating.pdf
    69.7 KB · Views: 158
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow......start off by pulling that insert outa there....next step is to repair all that block work, after repair close it down to accept your new stove or insert....lastly and most important is the chimney.....not to confident on the condition of it based on what I see...

The whole assembly looks poorly done, including the cement work. Is it as bad up top? I'd be tempted to brick or block the hole and run a stainless liner to that take-off hole if the chimney has decent integrity. If not, put in a new flue system with proper class A chimney. Before starting have a pro examine the chimney and determine if it is fit. If it is, it will need a cleaning first, then a liner.

It does look pretty bad! You can't just pull that out and it ain't an insert either.
It's a prefabricated firebox, all that flue tile is resting on top of its smoke chamber. So pulling it is a big deal, but thats what needs to happen. Its in very bad repair from years of neglect.
I'd cut it out and do a liner or a class A chimney so a Woodstove can go in its place. There is hope, its just not as easy as it seems.

Yes, I have been afraid to just pull the old box out thinking the wall will just crumble. So for the steps,

1. get it cleaned
2. pull the box after securing it somehow
3. remove block
4. install insulated liner
5. install woodburning stove insert
6. repair block around it

sigh.. does anyone know anyone in Mid Michigan that does this? I think it may be a little beyond my capabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.