Need to replace my homeowner miter saw. Recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
My basic homeowner miter/chop saw is near the end of it's life. I have a Delta el-cheapo and it survived 6+ years of my abuse and misuse. By default I will probably go to Sears and find a Craftsman I like, then wait for a decent sale if they aren't having one.

I'm a hack carpenter. I mostly cut 2x4's for various garage/outdoor projects like firewood racks, kayak racks, etc. Occasionally will cut some trim, siding or decking for a repair around the house. Have been known to take an inch or two off firewood cut too long, or even chop up some branches to make kindling. Yes, fuddy duddys, I always wear my eye protection.

The laser feature seems handy. The 12" inch blade models cost about the same as 10" so probably going with the higher capacity 12" one. Anybody buy a new one recently and want to point out a cool feature or specific model I should consider?

Thanks

Guess it depends on your budget.
I just finished buinding my home- so my saw is two years old now. I looked em over and bought the DeWalt 12" sliding compound miter saw at Home Depot.
It was something like $365.00- which is pricey, but has been well worth the money. Has made thousands of cuts with the framing, TJI Floor Joists and including alot of 8x8" beam material and all the half log siding cuts- all excellant. Then, last winter, I swiched to a fine 'FREUD' blade for all my 3/4 Oak hardwood floors, the window trim and baseboards- all excellant again. I will say that this is the most used- and best tool I have ever bought. And I can see it remaining around for many years to come.
And we- (wife and I) have used it hard too- for lots of cuts. (Limbs, soffet boards, etc...)
I put it on a moble cart and added the optional lazer sight- both worthwhile additions. Very pleased.
Thats my two cents worth.

That DeWalt is a fine saw Wildsourdough. Good choice. Wahoowad if you want cheap but good, look at the basic Ryobi or Makita. But a compound miter saw can do a whole lot more.

Be sure to steer clear of the harbor freight stuff. The chop saws they sell are not much good. Cheap though. Some of their stuff is ok but not the 10 inch sliders they sell.

I bought the Harbor Freight 12" compound slider for $169.00. Its inexpensive and does everything I need it to do while working on the addition.
Every time I priced the same type but by Dewalt it was over $600.00. Sure if your a contractor, but for the homeowner, overkill.
Mind ya, I don't do precision angle cuts. Mostly straight cuts on framing & the tongue & groove wall boards.
If you must have precision angle cuts etc., I'd opt for a better saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.