Need to source out woodwork

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Calling on the collective wisdom of the DIY and skilled work folks here.

Japanese potters send out good pieces in unfinished wooden boxes with no hinges called tomobako. It's a very cool touch and I'd like to do this with some of my Japanese inspired work, so I need someone to make the boxes.

My vision here is to use rough-sanded pallet wood, leaving a nail hole or 2 in the lid- so it should have soul, but be well made/fitted. The lid usually just has a couple rails on the back to key it on the box, but a sliding lid would be cool too. The boxes should be glued- I think they just butt join them, but rabeting, or even finger joints would be great if someone had a jig to do these quickly.

I have way too much stuff to do so I can't make them myself, but obviously they're an added cost for my product when someone else makes them (though they should add to the value/saleability of my better work).

So my question is- how much should I expect to pay for say 3.5" cubes in quantity of maybe 20? I see cheap imported pine/plywood boxes for a few bucks, so I'm hoping to get these for under $10 each. I'd be looking at a few sizes, but this is a starting point.

(not my work below)

tomobako.jpg

Someone with free oak pallet's would be a very cool touch. Cedar be another one. Dove tail would be very cool as well.

Adios Pantalones said:
Ya, I can get a kajillion oak pallets and would even break them down myself.

Its going to really make your items POP! (they already do)

Mini-mass production is the way I would go. Pallet wood can twist and splinter. Pallets would be good for a shipping crate, but for presentation, I would go for a slightly more refined look. I can understand the aspect of using re-purposed wood for character. The boxes from the Christmas Tree shop or Michaels Craft store is probably not the look you are going for anyways.

Select a decent quality wood, probably softwood, pine, cedar, or something easy to work with. Set up a chopsaw with an adjustable stop on it and cut all of the sides of the box at one time to a pre-determined size. Use another board to make the tops, so on and so on. If the shop tool is set up, make multiple pieces and then assemble.

I can see these boxes glued and wooden pegged as part of the joinery. Maybe even woodburning some Japanese calligraphy on the sides. That middle box in the picture looks like fir, I can almost smell it. Highland Hardwoods on Rt 125 in Brentwood N.H. carries a lot of species. Here is the link. http://www.highlandhardwoods.com/.

PM me if you need tips or ideas. I do woodworking for a local woman making shadow boxes for fiber art that she sells in a local gallery. I also created a base for her to hold a wooden mahogany display frame that she had in a show last November.

Go Bruins! I was a big Ray Bourque fan. I also had no hard feelings to him when he went to Colorado to get his cup before he retired.

fish- thanks, but again- I'm not making them. I figured that for less than 6" on a side, you wouldn't have much issue with pallet wood. I wouldn't have a problem with paying a bit for new wood, just liked the idea of the pallet wood look. Nothing too fancy on joinery- that costs more to have done.

Gotcha. I saw the pic and assumed you were were looking for a more refined look. Pallets are free, rough sanding and quick simple construction=low cost. It would also depend on the box design and if the wood was reasonably straight. If butt joined on the corners and a rabbet let in for a sliding lid, it would not add up to much more on the cost. Under $10.00 would be reasonable for handmade. Again, mini-production, parts all made at once and fabbed up would keep costs down.

I found a guy that makes apple boxes near me that might make them up, but it'll be a few weeks (he's busy with a big order- got to be glad for the little guys).

http://greenfieldapplebox.yolasite.com/contact.php

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a hearth.com member (couple clues I saw on his site)

Ok, if you get in a pinch or need them sooner, I can help you out. I do most of my woodwork projects in the evenings after my regular day job. It would be no problem keeping the price at your range. I don't have the fancy website or name recognition, so my costs are cheaper. :lol:

Fishing- I'd be interested. Will PM ya. Where on the N. Shore are ya? I work down in Lexington and my mom/siblings are in Burlington, so N. Shore is sort of in the neighborhood.

That guy I mentioned does the apple box thing as a side business- I think he's a shmuck like us with an interest, some tools, and maybe a web-savvy friend.

Prototype delivered today- sliding top, pallet wood, perfect finish. Each side was done a bit different so we could see the construction options. Good idea. We're ordering a mess of them!

Attachments

• boxwithslider.jpg
    boxwithslider.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 233
Adios,
Is that from the apple box guy or fishingpol?

S

Thanks AP. It was good to meet you to. Your pottery is most excellent. If anyone can make it to a show, definitely check out his work. Helluva nice guy too.

That's cool it worked out--good for y'all. Maybe when I strike it rich, I'll patronize your new partnership!

S

Status
Not open for further replies.