Need wood burner identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whatsit

Sep 20, 2012
Good morning. I have an old wood burner that was passed on to me. Trying to get a new Insurance provider and the Underwriter wants to know what the make and model number is. They say it needs to be UL approved.

It has passed inspection but thats not good enough for the Underwriter. There is no ID plate on the burner. It has an fasco blower on the rear. I only use it for a back-up when the power goes out.

Attachments

• 010 (Copy).JPG
    010 (Copy).JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 263
That is a local welding shop special. You aren't going to find any info on it and you can bet that it was never UL tested.

And that the 3ft rule will apply for clearance to combustibles even IF you can get it slid by. I doubt that any insurance co. is going to cover a home built unit for installation in a house.

Diamond plate - interesting. Would look cool in a shop but I bet it is a hungry beast.

And that the 3ft rule will apply for clearance to combustibles even IF you can get it slid by. I doubt that any insurance co. is going to cover a home built unit for installation in a house.

Diamond plate - interesting. Would look cool in a shop but I bet it is a hungry beast.
Thanks for the quick reply. Too bad it's gotta be removed. Works great. The current Ins. Co. accepted it as is.

Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Keep an eye open in the used market. Nice EPA stoves are starting to show up more frequently (with many of the old smoke dragons that have cycled out of the supply line). You never know, with a friendlier version of a wood stove ya might just start burning "cuz you can".

Wow, you can see the smoke marks on the duct work, previous owner must have used for more than a backup. Interesting that the duct work is hooked directly to the blower outlet, that was some custom fabbing going on there. I am sure someone would pay pretty good penny for that stove for a garage with diamond plate like that. Get it chromed.

Status
Not open for further replies.