Need wood confirmation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
image.jpg My hunting buddy cut this down and gave it to me. I think this is ash but need you guys to reassure me.

The bark of the round does look like ash. Beyond that hard to tell...

The split and the bark say ash. Pith too!

Is the wood super super super heavy?
Because the bark looks like pignut hickory, opposite branching aside.
And you guys always mention the telltale "pinhole" which is very pronounced. Not really a hickory characteristic.
Just saying.

Looks like ash to me

Is the wood super super super heavy?
Because the bark looks like pignut hickory, opposite branching aside.
And you guys always mention the telltale "pinhole" which is very pronounced. Not really a hickory characteristic.
Just saying.
Despite a slightly diamond-looking bark in a couple spots, that does look a bit like Pignut bark. But they usually have five leaflets (not always, though.) A really good split pic,where we can see how the grain fractures, should help (end-grain was in the best focus in the pic.) I would bet on White Ash, though...

Last edited:
Get it split, and if it burns six months from now it's Ash, and if it burns two years from now, it's Hickory.;)

Reactions: D8Chumley
image.jpg
Despite a slightly diamond-looking bark in a couple spots, that does look a bit like Pignut bark. But they usually have five leaflets (not always, though.) A really good split pic,where we can see how the grain fractures, should help (end-grain was in the best focus in the pic.) I would bet on White Ash, though...

image.jpg

That last shot sure doesn't look like ash. Generally ash is one color from the center to the outer edge. I have never seen it with a red tint.

OK, on that last pic, the bark profile doesn't look like Ash, end grain looks more Hickory, and Hickory gets those spots in the sapwood when it starts to die. Good thing no one took my bet. ==c Pic of split grain, if you get a chance?

OMG! that is sooo hickory! lol
Maybe not quite pignut.
Maybe that never talked about close cousin Red Hickory?
Im not up on the scientific differences but Red has 7 leaflets, the pignut with 7 leaves.

That last shot sure doesn't look like ash. Generally ash is one color from the center to the outer edge. I have never seen it with a red tint.
I see some Ash with heartwood that's a little darker...

Last edited:
That's Hickory all right.

If it has opposite branching it is not a Hickory, it is an Ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.