Need wood fireplace linked to forced air electric furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmery

Apr 9, 2009
Canada
I was at the BIS/Lennox dealer yesterday and found out the their wood fireplaces can no longer be connected to a central heating system. They have had problems with this setup and new installations like this will no longer be certified. Too bad, since I planned to install a BIS Nova.

This summer, I will build a 1300 sqft 1 1/2 story cottage and want to connect an EPA certified fireplace with a forced air electric furnace. So heating would be wood, with the electric coil starting at times without fire--essentially a wood-electric furnace.

RSF and Napoleon make fireplaces that can connect to forced air furnaces. Any others? Can these fireplaces send heated air to the cold air return of a furnace? That way a fireplace blower would not be necessary.

For a furnace, I am considering the LifeBreath Clean Air Furnace, with its integrated HRV.

Thoughts and suggestions would be very welcome. Tomorrow I plan to phone BIS/Lennox directly to see if they are working on a fix for their fireplaces. I am most interested in your thoughts on connecting to central heating.

First post!

So I talked to BIS technical people, and they stated that it's only local bylaws that prevent the fireplace being hooked up to central heating systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.