NEED your URGENT help (next hour or so) or a great deal may pass me by....need your advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Detector$

Dec 16, 2007
NC
They're widening a road near my house and the city is cutting down a lot of old oak mixed with some poplar. Most is 30" diameter at the trunk. The crew taking it down offered to deliver it and dump it at my house for $200 a load. This is a full-length tractor trailer logging bed, full of trunks, Red oak...again some poplar.
Should I take it? I have to tell them before they go home tonight or I'll lose it.
THANKS FOR YOUR PROMPT REPLIES!

For a full log truck full, yeah, I'd take it.

Ask them if you can cut and haul away what you want for free.

In your part of the country a logging truck is a 40' flatbed trailer. Go for it.

That will be between 8 - 10 cords. I would be all over that, no matter how much wood I already had. From what I reed on here the oak will not be ready for years to come and the poplar is good in the shoulder season.
Of course you need to have the room to process and store that wood.

Hurricane said:
That will be between 8 - 10 cords. I would be all over that, no matter how much wood I already had. From what I reed on here the oak will not be ready for years to come and the poplar is good in the shoulder season.
Of course you need to have the room to process and store that wood.

isnt poplar = cottonwood? is that ok to burn?

Poplar burns great, kinda hot, kinda fast. Excellent for shoulder seasons and or mixing with oak.

The eyes can deceive the capacity of your consumptions ability. But my first inclination would be to find how many $200 bills I had room for. Reality would pare that back a little but the sign by the road would say firewood you cut and haul $50+/- per pick up load, (their truck and their saw) and "by appointment only" would help temper any indigestion. Or should I say "yes" is the answer you just have to figure how many times to say it! You poor guy...decisions...decisions......
decisions...!

SCORE!.... I got it after the guy called me back and said he had found a few big hickories and some ash along with all the HUGE red oak. So he piled it all in his tall side trailer (with a poplar or two) and carefuly dumped it in out pasture. We don't have to worry about the neighbors (we're on 6 acres). I'll take pictures in the AM and post.

wendell said:
For a full log truck full, yeah, I'd take it.
+1 cant do it yourself any cheaper

sounds to me you got a good deal. all the work done on your own property, at your own pace from here on out.

I think you made out like a bandit. I pay $100 per cord to get logs dropped at my place and can only take delivery in Winter on frozen ground.

Here is what $1200 looks like.

100_0298.jpg

WOW, that's a lot.... The load I got was left as trees (30' long or so) and stacked the other direction on the trailer. BIG diameter maybe 15-20 or so trunks?

Holy crap!!!!!!!

Buy as much as you can manage!!!!

Detector$ said:
They're widening a road near my house and the city is cutting down a lot of old oak mixed with some poplar. Most is 30" diameter at the trunk. The crew taking it down offered to deliver it and dump it at my house for $200 a load. This is a full-length tractor trailer logging bed, full of trunks, Red oak...again some poplar.
Should I take it? I have to tell them before they go home tonight or I'll lose it.
THANKS FOR YOUR PROMPT REPLIES!

Is this a trick question?

First ask them if its seasoned. next ask them if its a true cord. then ask them if they can cut split and stack it for you. if they are unwilling to do any of this refuse it IMMEDIATELY!! :bug:

Here are the pics as promised. I can verify a few white oaks, a few hickories, and what I'm pretty sure is ash. I have NO IDEA what the big pieces the the dark heartwood are. I did find a small sweetgum in there. Any idea what the big stuff might be?

Attachments

• DSCF1740.JPG
    DSCF1740.JPG
    233.5 KB · Views: 429
  • DSCF1741.JPG
    DSCF1741.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 448
So how did you do? 4 cord or so?

I'd say you made out quite well. Get another load! :)

By the looks of a couple of those ripped up logs it seems they even delivered some kindling for you.

rich81 said:
First ask them if its seasoned. next ask them if its a true cord. then ask them if they can cut split and stack it for you. if they are unwilling to do any of this refuse it IMMEDIATELY!! :bug:

BWAAAAAAAAA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAA

Pics 2 and 3 ... any idea what that big piece is... with the dark heartwood?

Attachments

• DSCF1741.JPG
    DSCF1741.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 299
  • DSCF1742.JPG
    DSCF1742.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 314
Poplar are the dark centered wood

Status
Not open for further replies.