Needed a new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdog

Oct 15, 2013
Mineral wells wv
Ok guys if you remimber i had the 13-nc golden eagle and was having all sorts problems as i tried to burn the first few fires were ok then went down hill badly ended up the inside of the fire box had 5 cracks inside from inch to 13/4 long and big enough to put a butter knife in. Some where in the square tube where the air comes to the secondary tubes and what not big mess. SOO i went out and bought me a brand new 13-nc and am hooking it up tonight hope this one is easy to use i was pulling my hair out what i got left bc i kept reading on here people raveing over them and i couldnt get 20-30 min burn time and it wouldnt stay at temp for more than 3-4 min then start dropping off no matter how how i got it or where i ajusted the air and reloads one after another with all the hot coals in there from a burn 5 min ago still had to use kidling to get it back up burning. Lets hope this time with a new stove it will run like it should. Should i burn it out side first? Small fires or straight to big fires heating my house?

If its possible I would burn it off outside if you can. Start out with small fires and increase the temperature each time. Even though you burn it off outside, every time you reach a new high temperature inside your going to get that pain smell but it shouldn't be as bad the first couple of fires outside

If its possible I would burn it off outside if you can. Start out with small fires and increase the temperature each time. Even though you burn it off outside, every time you reach a new high temperature inside your going to get that pain smell but it shouldn't be as bad the first couple of fires outside
Sounds about right...

The smell is manageable (depending on how sensitive you are to such stuff) but as long as you haven't hooked it up yet, I'd sure do it outside.

remember to add some pipe to the top of the stove to pull it when you do your preburns outside. basically a kindling fire just keep adding kindling as it burns it up, after a couple hours of good burning should get rid of the oils in the steel and paint curing.

What about all the little like beads that were in the round intake hole in the back? do they serve a purpose or what? Do you guys recommend putting stove cement in the flue when i put the pipe in to seal it up

That is "shot" from the shot peening booth at the factory. The stove is blasted with those things to condition the steel. Nothing but trash now.

Those are left over from machining the stove as far as I can tell. I vacuumed my stove out completely before installing the fire brick. Even with a couple break in fires outside, you are still going to get paint smell. I have been burning daily in my 30-NC for about 5 weeks now, and I am still faintly smelling paint when the stove gets hot. It doesn't smoke any more, but man, they emit some chemical-y funk for a long time.

Those are left over from machining the stove as far as I can tell. I vacuumed my stove out completely before installing the fire brick. Even with a couple break in fires outside, you are still going to get paint smell. I have been burning daily in my 30-NC for about 5 weeks now, and I am still faintly smelling paint when the stove gets hot. It doesn't smoke any more, but man, they emit some chemical-y funk for a long time.
I did too for quite a while.

BB i was hopeing you would chime in on anyone eles new 13 or 30 i supoese if you look thru the 3 inch hole in the back and see where the rod in the front slides that peice in there back and fourth when its pushed all the way in it doesnt close all the way is this normal? And i was thinking of installing an oak any likes dislikes on the oak?

the little beads are from the shot blasting process, they arent part of the stove , if ya want just vac em out, wont hurt anything. as for sealing the pipe s its beneficial to do so, but dont do it for the outdoor preburn would just make a mess breaking it right back loose to reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.