Neighbor asked to cut down her maple... Charge her?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My cutting partner uses one of those little top-handle 280's. I can ask him how old it is, but I believe it's 30+. Nice little saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No chain brake makes it over 20 years old. My old Stihl 026 from the 80s has a chain brake.

I believe Stihl was using chain brakes way before Echo, or at least it seems so from what I've observed of the two brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe Stihl was using chain brakes way before Echo, or at least it seems so from what I've observed of the two brands.

Stihl started equipping saws with chain brakes in roughly 1975 or 1976. They were optional at first. However the first ones were not inertia chain brakes like modern saws. Long throw on the brake which really was only effectively activated by your hand. Not activated by inertia in a kick back situation like a modern brake.

I could be wrong but I think Husky had the actual first inertia activated brake, which would engage in a kick back before your hand could even think about touching the brake. Actually lots of firsts from Swedish saws like Husky and Jonsered that were copied by Stihl such as Spring anti vibe, inertia brakes, and forced fresh air intake from the clean air side of the saw.

Obviously all new saws are inertia brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.