Neighbor cutting trees down this week, Need ID one please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chvymn99

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2010
Kansas
My neighbor is cutting his front tree line down this week pending weather. I know he's got a couple of hackleberries, that I want to try to get. But this one has me stumped. I know its got a pod cluster, and that is has a roughish bark. Any ideals? Also His guy told him he's got a hickory in there. I have no ideal where it is in that line. But I pretty sure that its not a hickory, thought hickories had nuts not pods. Thank you.

Not like any hickory i've seen.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Reminds me of locust..

I've been trying to google and search it. Not too many trees with pods, just wish I paid more attention to it last year. :rolleyes: It could be a black locust from comparision, not real experienced it in tree form. But the pods seem to align itself with it, but the bark just doesn't seem to be the black locust that I've ran across. But I'll know when he drops it and its yellow in color, I guess.

I've got a good supply of wood, just dont want to take a lesser wood. Want to pick and choose.

Helicopters, scaly bark should be sugar maple or maybe silver maple
Edit: looks more like silver
closer look at seeds I think I'm wrong

Looks like Black Locust. Once you see the color of the wood inside you'll know. Seed pods seem about the right size for one.

Honeylocust, kentucky coffee tree, catalpa, black locust, redbud and yellowwood. They all have pods containing multiple seeds. Out of the pictures Im looking at, they resemble black locust and redbud.

Looks more like Honey Locust

Honey locust has large pods. The pods look right for red bud. I think it is red bud. How tall is the tree?

It's fairly tall. I'm sure it's not a redbud, from bark. But i should know more hopefully in the next two hours. If he got over there today.

Nothings been cut yet. :(...

Well, I got home lastnight and they where actually all cleaned up and leaving. :( But I went over to see what the stumps looked like. They did have the yellow colorization to the wood. So I would say that it was black locust. So the tree guys got a pretty good BTU job, between 4 or 5 black locust and about 4 hackberries.

Reactions: raybonz
Status
Not open for further replies.