Neighbor scared me tonight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ikessky

Minister of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Northern WI
I got home from hunting and there was a message on my machine from my neighbors. They heard a boom, saw a flash, and then there was something on fire in my yard. My first thought was, "Oh no. I had a chimney fire while I was gone." Well, I headed over to their place. It turns out, the boom and flash came from the power/telephone pole on our lot line. The other neighbor's power flashed. We still don't know what happened, but the initial call sure scared the crap out of me!

Glad all is ok, hopefully nothing major. Now for the really important question... how'd the hunting turn out?

Transformer explode? Lines down? Curious what happened.

The countdown here is 7 days till I get to carry my new Savage 220F 20ga...

Not really sure what happened. Doesn't look like any lines are down. The neighbors said that this happened years ago and it turned out to be a squirrel that got into the transformer or wires. I'm thinking it was probably something like that.

As far as hunting, nothing happening this weekend. Barely any shots around us either. The weather hasn't really cooperated with us, so the deer are just bedding down during the day.

Hope it didn't kill your wiring.

A guy I know had a transformer go up in smoke and it killed EVERYTHING plugged in at his house to include some of the wiring in the walls.

If the transformer went , he would not have power. The animal thought is likely correct.

ikessky said:
I got home from hunting and there was a message on my machine from my neighbors. They heard a boom, saw a flash, and then there was something on fire in my yard. My first thought was, "Oh no. I had a chimney fire while I was gone." Well, I headed over to their place. It turns out, the boom and flash came from the power/telephone pole on our lot line. The other neighbor's power flashed. We still don't know what happened, but the initial call sure scared the crap out of me!

Glad that it wasn't the stove, I loaded up the liberty the other night then settled it down around 650 then went upstairs, after being upstairs for 10 minutes we heard a boom and the windows shook so I ran down cellar and everything was fine so I went back up stairs and told the wife then I opened the door to the porch and could hear the JETS from Fort Drum flying so one of them must have kicked it in thus shacking the windows just glad that they are ours.

zap

The neighbors called the power company this AM only to be told, "Watch for any surging and call us if there are future problems." My wife went outside and discovered a couple pieces from the transformer laying in our yard. So, I called the power company back and told them that if pieces of the transformer were in our yard, I'm guessing they want to come and look at what we have going on. Supposedly they are going to be here sometime this afternoon and hopefully will tell me what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.