Neighbor's CL tree guys deal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbor has red ribbons around a mess of trees in his yard- a few big pines, oaks, and a maple or 2 that I can see. He's a good guy- called me to see if I wanted any of the wood and what lengths. I said "sure- all you got, 18" or up to 40"" He told me that was great because the guys he hired probably bit off more than they could chew with regards to moving it. I count about 6 cord jut in the front yard that I can see- and there's more in the back.

I told him that I hoped they has their $#@! together with dropping trees around his house, cars and right next to the road- he said maybe he should go out for the day while they worked.

So today they're out there climbing and calling back and forth, trying to throw a clothes line up, and running back to their truck. Not a good sign- and my wife looks nervous watching them. Then there's a bunch of sawing and a tight line.

The sawing stops- I see the one in the tree looking down the road as cars pass- then starts again. There's a mighty crash as it goes down right across the street- and the guy on the ground goes running fast as he can to cut it enough to move it.

Uhhh- maybe there should be a detail and someone that knows what they're doing out there. I hope that doesn't interfere with me getting a mess of scroungey wood.

I got a picture of them talking to the cop, but maybe I won't post it online

Naaa...I wouldn't do that. But DO get a pic of the future fuel. That never gets old.

Reactions: Thistle
Better his yard then yours. I really hope no one gets hurt in this deal. I take it they may not be a professional tree company.

You should post the photos!

Reminds me of a tree-removal bid I made for a neighbor a few blocks away at my last residence when I still had my Bandit chipper. My bid was "just way too high" and he went with the low bidder. So these three clowns show up in an old beat up plywood sided Chevy and a rental Vermeer chipper and a pair of Stihl 290 chainsaws. I had a good laugh at that. Then when they were cutting away (one guy was climing with the 290... look out below!) they managed to drop lots of limbs on the electric lines, and they shorted the lines out and they caught fire. At that point I called the utility company and things got interesting. Right when the utility guys showed up the lines were throwing sparks so they tripped the local breakers. They called the fire department and police. They showed up, looked around, had a chat with the tree guys. Seems that they were supposed to have the block marked off with safety cones (I had a dozen, but I did not share any). Seems that the owner did not heed my advice about finding out if he needed permits to remove any of the trees, and the street trees needed permits. Last I saw they cleaned up the mess and the power was back on... they finished cutting the trees on the guy's lot and left the half cut street trees which were later cut down by a county crew. That neighbor never talked to me after that.

It is sad that those kind of people are allowed to do business...

My neighbor has red ribbons around a mess of trees in his yard- a few big pines, oaks, and a maple or 2 that I can see. He's a good guy- called me to see if I wanted any of the wood and what lengths. I said "sure- all you got, 18" or up to 40"" He told me that was great because the guys he hired probably bit off more than they could chew with regards to moving it. I count about 6 cord jut in the front yard that I can see- and there's more in the back.

I told him that I hoped they has their $#@! together with dropping trees around his house, cars and right next to the road- he said maybe he should go out for the day while they worked.

So today they're out there climbing and calling back and forth, trying to throw a clothes line up, and running back to their truck. Not a good sign- and my wife looks nervous watching them. Then there's a bunch of sawing and a tight line.

The sawing stops- I see the one in the tree looking down the road as cars pass- then starts again. There's a mighty crash as it goes down right across the street- and the guy on the ground goes running fast as he can to cut it enough to move it.

Uhhh- maybe there should be a detail and someone that knows what they're doing out there. I hope that doesn't interfere with me getting a mess of scroungey wood.

Sounds like an accident waiting for something to happen.

I have threatened the electric co-op that is dragging its feet dropping a complicated dead two twin married oaks at the top of my driveway with hiring the lowest bidder. It is right next to their pole and transformer. And forty feet higher than the pole.

I have threatened the electric co-op that is dragging its feet dropping a complicated dead two twin married oaks at the top of my driveway with hiring the lowest bidder. It is right next to their pole and transformer. And forty feet higher than the pole.

Just make sure you've got fuel for the Genny bb. Then take the $ 350.00 bid & make sure to video the action from a safe distance. A C

Reactions: ScotO
Were I not so old and crippled up I would dearly love to drop those two trees. Well that and the fact that they are at close to eighty feet tall and are only fifty feet or so from the house. Gives me pause to reflect on the lowest bidder thing.

Wow, the electric company here contracts with Asplundh in the spring and they cut anything within 10 feet of a power line. Then the county comes through and does roadside cutting and they cut down anything within 10 feet of the power poles and easments. I get wood chips dumped here from them both in the spring.

Asplundh is the wrecking crew that does "mileage" here too. They did the road down the hill this year and never came up here. The "time and materials" crew from Lewis Tree Service did the driveway last year and said "mileage" would tackle these ones. Yeah right. Here they do 15 feet. These just died last year. If they dropped everything that could smack the line on my 900 foot driveway I would have wood for twenty-five years.

I need to call the right of way manager and have a little heart to heart. After the smoke clears from their 25,000 outages this week.

I'm feeling a little bitter at the new neighbor. Bought and tore up the lot behind me, greatly compromising my privacy. Piled 5 years worth of wood in front of my driveway. Despite my request, had the tree guy take it all it away for disposal. The tree guy was happy to leave it with me :mad:

They will not be getting eggs or honey.
I will not call the mean black dog back.
I will now curse EXTRA loudly at the boy when the opportunity arises.
All the spring roosters stay, as well as the pile of tires.

Reactions: StihlHead
You knew it was a class outfit when one of them brought his baby mother (with baby on hip) to the job.

double-facepalm1.jpg

Reactions: PapaDave
Status
Not open for further replies.