Neighbor's Ranger working hard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
Neighbor said I could borrow the Ranger to haul the wood to my place from his. It's just about a block and a half, i sure wouldn't want to go much further.

Attachments

• DSCN0810 (Large).jpg
    DSCN0810 (Large).jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 736
  • DSCN0811 (Large).jpg
    DSCN0811 (Large).jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 742
and here's the truck empty so you can see the difference in loaded vs unloaded height. and there's a pic of the first load all stacked.

Attachments

• DSCN0812 (Large).jpg
    DSCN0812 (Large).jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 680
  • DSCN0813 (Large).jpg
    DSCN0813 (Large).jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 714
and here's the total scrounge. I left the giant trunk for the other neighbor that burns wood. I posted pics in another thread of that trunk. I'll get a link in a minute.

Attachments

• DSCN0815 (Large).jpg
    DSCN0815 (Large).jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 698
I have a 98 with coil over shocks and have loaded it much much more. The brakes are the week link! Load er up! But be carefull!

burntime said:
I have a 98 with coil over shocks and have loaded it much much more. The brakes are the week link! Load er up! But be carefull!
I looked at the numbers online last night and was rather surprised to read the payload and towing numbers. You could put 1600lbs and tow at least double that all at the same time. Now, if I could get a ranger with a full crew cab instead of just the extended cab, then we'd be in business.

My monroe coil overs were advertised at the time to add 1500 pounds payload. I dunno, but have had a little over a half cord of wet oak in it at a time...Yes, it was squatting!

I had one of those rangers (88) with the same wheels, I would load it till the tire was even with the top of the wheel well, never gave me a problem, Man I loved that truck!

I haul my scrounges in my old man's '96 ranger, (when there's more than the trunk of a focus can hold). I have filled it to capacity with fresh cut fir, and agree that it can take it, but for the brakes. Great little truck. I'm interested to see how the new F100 turns out.

Danno, is that honey locust?

My '94 gets a bit bogged down when I load her full of wood, particularlly green wood. But not nearly as bogged down as when she carried "1/2 a scoop" of paver base. Only went about 3 miles, nice and slow. And then there was the time I scrounged a bunch of used bricks, thinking I'd use them in some project. I never loaded the bed more than 1/2 way w/ those, but I had a longer drive (about 15 miles, part of it fwy).

Funny thing, the brakes on my Ranger are actually quite good, even w/ a load (but I'm always really careful driving her w/ a load, and rarely go more than a few miles under load).

All in all, it's a great little truck and A LOT easier to park the a full-size p/u. Easeir overall to drive in an urban area.

Peace,
- Sequoia

madrone said:
I haul my scrounges in my old man's '96 ranger, (when there's more than the trunk of a focus can hold). I have filled it to capacity with fresh cut fir, and agree that it can take it, but for the brakes. Great little truck. I'm interested to see how the new F100 turns out.
unfortunately the F-100 is dead, however the new ranger is still on track to replace the current one, I hope I can justify a new one when it comes out, my '99 is over 250k and it is showing it, but it still runs drives me to work, HD, dump, etc.

Nice diggs Danno.

I think u coulda loaded more, as long as you didn't have to go over 35mph or turn.

I'm all about the trailer. I replaced a 1/2ton ford w/a $400 pull behind homemade flatbed.

Good job in any case.

Looks like Walnut to me.

I don't have an ID on it, but it's not walnut. the leaves look like an ELM to me, the owner said he thinks it's "Chinese Elm" but wasn't 100% sure. I posted a link up above with some more pictures, don't know if they are good enough to help with ID.

Nice long bed.
Faily rare to see a 7 footer on a Ranger, only non 4x4 supercabs.

I have an '87 & '89 and just sold my '92. Have had an '86 & '87.
I've hauled loads twice that in my '89 with the 6' bed (but it has a box :)

All junk yard trucks I built from parts truck except one.

FYI... You can get a 5 leaf Explorer spring set (I used a '99) thats a plug'n play with the same spring eye perch to shakle as the stock.
Did it on the '89 for $50. and it gives you an extra 1/4 ton carring capacity. Best thing I ever did to any of my Rangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.