Neighbors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwilly

Dec 13, 2013
seattle
My neighbors lost this Fir a few weeks back and offered it to me. How could I say no?
That's my 362 with a 25" bar.
The tree is about 100' long and about 40" across at the base.
She even had it limbed for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0591.JPG
    IMG_0591.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 296
Free wood is free wood. Cut split and stack should be ready to go I would take it. Great for shoulder season or to burn some coals down regardless, it burns nice score.

Nothing like a good neighbor.

Good score! Hope it didn't hit anything when it fell.
The above comment about being good shoulder season wood made me laugh. Not everyone lives on the east coast or in the mid west.

Those nice, straight ones are FUN cuttin. :cool: And no branches!!

Nice score.

Nice. Real nice. Something like that would have me looking at new chainsaws!

Free wood is free wood. Cut split and stack should be ready to go I would take it. Great for shoulder season or to burn some coals down regardless, it burns nice score.

Fir is not considered shoulder season wood. It's comparable to soft maple.

Reactions: Jeffm1
This is probably Douglas Fir. A very nice firewood when you can get it. It's pretty high in BTU, but around here, most Doug Fir, especially a nice, marketable specimen like this one, goes to building houses, so can be hard to find sometimes. That neighbor may have been able to sell it, but most logging outfits are looking for big scores.

Doug fir is awesome for burning. Not quite the best soft wood out there but a great addition to the stacks, I wish I had more doug fir and seek it out whenever possible. Im currently burning through a big doug fir (nowhere near as big as your monster) that was standing dead last spring. Doug fir is a pleasure to burn and quite a bit better than the various species of pines. I love how straight and free of branches that trunk in your picture is. Enjoy!
Edit: If you have more pictures of it we would love to see them!

Attachments

• IMG_4223.JPG
    IMG_4223.JPG
    241.1 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_4225.JPG
    IMG_4225.JPG
    259.7 KB · Views: 176
Reactions: Jeffm1 and Sprinter
Doug Fir is probably my favorite out of the conifers.. put a 8x12x14' beam up in my place when I took down a structural wall here last year.. that was hard to find! Had to drive almost up to Canada to get it... I could've gotten pine or spruce locally, but fir is a good deal stronger than those two.

Well, old growth southern pine is my favorite.. but that doesn't really exist anymore :(

My neighbors lost this Fir a few weeks back and offered it to me. How could I say no?
That's my 362 with a 25" bar.
The tree is about 100' long and about 40" across at the base.
She even had it limbed for me.
rwilly: You probably know this already, but don't discard any of that bark. Doug Fir bark is high in BTU and resinous, especially as thick as that one must be. It can actually burn better than the wood.

Last edited:
fir is a good deal stronger than those two
That's why Douglas Fir is the "gold standard" among structural lumbers. Even moisture meters are calibrated to Doug Fir. It's a real shame that so many forests haven't been replanted after clear-cutting. We have so many forests around here that are nothing but Alder now. But that's another soap box...

I'm sure it is a great btu wood. All I'm saying is in our part of the country most softwoods are used for warmer day burns. I'm not sure of all the different species of trees in the northwest. It seems like this is a better Wood in your area regardless nice pickup and nice neighbors.

I'm sure it is a great btu wood. All I'm saying is in our part of the country most softwoods are used for warmer day burns. I'm not sure of all the different species of trees in the northwest. It seems like this is a better Wood in your area regardless nice pickup and nice neighbors.
Yes. Doug fir is a little unusual in the softwood category. Even the bark burns nice and hot. It's just kind of rare to find such a nice tree available for firewood. I have several trees just like that on my property but I won't cut therm down for firewood. Of course, if one were to volunteer in a wind storm, You'll find me in the dealer for a bigger saw...

There is a lot of variability within the softwood and hardwood categories, too. From what I understand, the only difference is that one is evergreen and the other deciduous. Around here, alder is a hardwood but yields less energy per cord than D. Fir. I've heard that balsa is actually a hardwood technically.

To add to any confusion, Doug-fir is not even a real fir. It's also not a pine. It's a unique species. There also are two varieties, Rocky Mtn, and Coast. We in the PacNW are kind of fond of them...

Reactions: Jeffm1
I only took a few pics. Fir is my favorite wood, it burns hot, its plentiful in this area and it leaves little ash.

Attachments

• IMG_0587.JPG
    IMG_0587.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: Seanm
Status
Not open for further replies.