Neo 2.5 Insert - door seal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auzzie Gumtree

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2012
Recently bought the Neo 2.5 insert. So far so good - not really been tested too much as we are still too warm to get full benefit in Australia. I have noticed that the glass is getting black on the door catch side (LHS as you are facing the heater.) and also the burn pattern is not as good on the LHS of the fire as the RHS. I first put this down to our warm conditions but then i read a few reports on hear that this is common and possibly a fault with the fire. I contacted my dealer who said the obvious wood is too wet, and that the firebricks needed drying out. All possible but i have 3 - 4 year seasoned wood - measuring less than 18% moisture.

Today i noticed that the seal on the door has a indentation directly opposite the door catch - see photo. I contacted the dealer again and they are sending a new seal - but i am concerned as to why the seal would look / feel like this - this is a brand new unit. Any ideas?

The stove, other than this, is Awesome - i will do a full review once we get any cold weather....

fire seal.jpg

My door gasket on my century 2500 unit was doing the same thing, most important thing it isn't leaking, pulling air/leaking odor through quartz into the room. As for the glass, trick learned here, newspaper + Ash will take them off immediately or with slight scrubbing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply - the glass is not so much an issue more the poor burning on the LHS. Its this part of the seal i am interested in - the compressed rope is this normal - i have never seen this before?

upload_2016-5-18_22-54-14.png

That is quite an indent. It looks like a fat, gasket splice.

It looks like a fat, gasket splice
SO you wouldn't expect to see this? and potentially this might cause issues with the seal at that point of contact....
The dealer has sent a new gasket so i will see how that one is joined or if i can join myself.

Thanks for the reply - the glass is not so much an issue more the poor burning on the LHS. Its this part of the seal i am interested in - the compressed rope is this normal - i have never seen this before?

View attachment 178835

My gasket is identical to yours, no problems, I also had the black glass in the corner 2 years ago, I blamed it on "wet" wood at 18-20% MC and closing down the intake too soon - this year all my wood was under 18% and actually had to plug the not adjustable secondary air intake with foil that's just to the right of the adjustable one. No black glass this year. Also do the dollar bill test around the gasket with the door closed, I had to "fluff" mine out a bit in a lot of areas with needle nose pliers.

Thanks for that. I have persevered with it and its actually getting better. I cleaned try the glass and it stayed clean. I think I might be trying to turn the air down too far too soon. It's getting colder here so will update in a couple of weeks.

Yeah, on a reload i run it wide open for a while, 15 minutes or so, until its really fully engulfed with flames then the first choke off of air is about 50%, once it starts ripping again i go to about 75%, then normally once more to about 90 to 95% off. I never ever go 100% anymore, but this is because i plugged the other hole, you'd be ok at 100%.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.