Nerd Alert - How tesla owners use their in-dash browsers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Waaahh, are they nuts??? !!!

"The browser is always available—it can be used even when the car is in motion."

Siri is used that way.....don't worry, in a few years the assisted driving (and driverless) will kick in and we'll be able to sit back more....

I've sent text messages by voice command in my car. But it does take some of my attention away from driving. Realistically, I use the browser only when waiting in the car for the wife to get something, etc.

If a few Teslas get in accidents and they determine that browsing was being done at the same second...there may be some trouble.

If they do that in an assisted driving care at some point in the future I won't mind. But right now that's still not implemented. And why always wait until some people got killed that way? There are plenty of studies showing how distracting cell phone use is; How can having a full screen web browser in a car not be an issue? Is it really necessary to have the government enact a new law forbidding such a system? Can businesses not show some common sense?

Cell phone and computer and internet companies carry a lot of weight. We'd probably all be shocked to find out how many current accidents are the result of texting, etc.

Just like we know how many are from drinking. But the same goes there - the hospitality industry (bars, restaurants, booze) wouldn't take too kindly to "common sense" measure like "How the heck can you have a parking lot in a place where people go to get drunk?".

Common sense doesn't work well. Actuarial tables do. Luckily, in this issue, the insurance companies have a big interest and are likely to push for more common sense.....

These days job #1 after an accident is to check the cell phone records.

Ironic, I guess. Congress is yelling at GM for a couple dozen deaths while hundreds or thousands are the results of cell phone companies as well as other substances and appliances (even a loud radio causes accidents).

I've probably talked on mine in the car once a month - and a short conversation through bluetooth built in, so I'm not really an offender.

I refrain largely from picking up my phone...whether driving or not. But if I have to communicate, can do it from buttons on the steering column (quick phone call) or Siri can send a quick text.

In any case - that link and what we know to be true shows how much BS all this stuff about GM murdering people is. If they murdered 20, then we should say AT&T murdered thousands.....

I would be fine with more regs and checks. It would be cool if there was a way to make sure teens driving cars could not use their phones in there unless the car were stopped for more than "x" seconds.

The wifey had our daughter and grand daughter in the car in 2009 - and got broadsided by a "texter" coming out of her driveway at high speed... totaled both cars.

I think someone wrote a book on this stuff - that is, people are afraid of the wrong things. Terrorists? Heroin? Laughable compared to these numbers.

Reactions: Ashful
Having any browser in the front seat of the car is nuts. Heck, I hate having climate and radio controls on a touch screen.

Can you say distracted driver? Laws for cell phone/texting while driving are in effect in Ontario. When I'm in Minnesota, I'm amazed at how many are driving while talking ... keep meaning to check Minnesota laws on that.

Would be OK to have a browser if it could only function when the vehicle is in park...

I think I'm getting old ... this is not a feature in a car I would find desirable ... then again I also have never been all that excited about the car stereo connections to play the iPod.

Reactions: Bobbin
One the best things about being in the car (as far as I'm concerned) is that there is no 'phone! I mute mine, nothing is so important that I can't pull over to use the 'phone. A browser? I can't even feature that. Wow.

Why do I click on anything that has "nerd" in it?

It's a warning. I don't know why Doug clicked on it. No cell phone?

Well, my bro has a $20 a year cell phone and he knows everything about the inside of IC's. So I guess those things don't relate. I was one of the last people on the planet to get a smart phone and then, even, an older model. My use is mostly for texting with my wife and daughter...who is hearing impaired, so that's the best way to communicate.

It does GPS on the boat too. Tells me how deep the water is, etc. all for much less than the dedicated GPS's for boats. The program was $20 or so when the boat GPS models start at about $300.

Reactions: Jags
It does GPS on the boat too. Tells me how deep the water is, etc. all for much less than the dedicated GPS's for boats. The program was $20 or so when the boat GPS models start at about $300.

Maybe they need you over in the Indian Ocean.

Reactions: Owen1508 and Bobbin
My cell phone is my business phone. And it's the cheapest phone available (no internet involved)... . It gets the job done and I'm not crippled with expensive monthly charges for things I don't know how to use effectively. I can always "upgrade" if I so chose, and my customers can reach me. Win-win.

My cell phone service costs 6X the price of my home phone. "smart phone? for who the phone company?

Reactions: Grisu
Status
Not open for further replies.