Nests in wood pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
I'm assuming I had mouse nests in my wood pile last winter, so I opened up a 4" channel in between rows in the wood shed. I also find that some creature had a nest in the bottom of the ugly/kindling bin.

Since these are ~15 from the house, I took it apart and sorted out the kindling. I just can't leave anything on the ground or they'll use it for nests.

The chipmunks pass through the entire length of my stack messing with the dogs.
Drives them crazy. LOL

Glad ya found it before an entire family was running around in there!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a feral cat that has taken up residence between my stacks. I'm expecting less nests next year. :)

Saw 2 snake skins as well.

there is a big ole garter snake that lives under one of my stacks.... he keeps most of the other things away, so he gets to stay... he's been there for 2 years. I know this because I painted his tail by accident!

Reactions: excessads and MrsD
I had tons of chipmunk nests in mine. I really don't mind my inside cats do a fine job is mousing. I made a 4 cord stack 30' away from the house this year though and have been watching the local ferrel cats swarm it like it's a buffet. I'll be interested in how many nests I find in it. I'm also curious if the two times a section toppled it was the cats running on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chipmunks, snakes, birds, and who knows else in mine. Doesn't effect my burn.

there is a big ole garter snake that lives under one of my stacks.... he keeps most of the other things away, so he gets to stay... he's been there for 2 years. I know this because I painted his tail by accident!
Say what? :confused: LOL.;lol

Chipmunks, snakes, birds, and who knows else in mine. Doesn't effect my burn.

Ditto. Throw the neighbor's cat into that list, as well. The only one I mind is the yellow jackets.

Say what? :confused: LOL.;lol
i was painting the fence with a sprayer, and he wouldn't move! The following year I was moving a rock and saw the snake and got a little scared, since I'm not used to gray snakes around here.... then i realized it was my buddy, and he had just gotten bigger! I think he has finally shed that skin though.

Reactions: CenterTree
I'm lucky enough to be able to store my drying stacks far away from the house. We already have mice problems. Don't need the added aggravation. I am also known to release black snakes into my piles.

wood piles make perfect "condos" for mice/chipmunks etc

I keep 8 cords stacked in my shed, 4 this season and 4 for next year.

As I burn down one pile over the winter they move to the next one

I'm lucky enough to be able to store my drying stacks far away from the house. We already have mice problems. Don't need the added aggravation. I am also known to release black snakes into my piles.
We used to have outdoor cats, which did a good job of keeping the rodent population in check. Now that the cats are all indoors and no longer "work for a living," I'm hoping the mice gravitate toward the wood stacks rather than more valuable things. I had a mouse chew through a hose in my car and it cost almost $1000 to fix because the critter managed to choose the spot that was hardest to reach. <>

Reactions: Ashful
I'm just glad someone got my 40+ year old pop culture reference.

Still on re-runs . . . not a bad show, but I still like All in The Family better.

Reactions: Ashful
I have a big ol wood chuck living under my wood shed. Wouldnt mind him so much if he didnt dig holes everywhere. I live in the city so i cant shoot him, he won't go in the live trap and i fear if i shoot him with my bow he'll make it under the wood shed and die/stink there.

Try cantaloupe in the the trap. I don't know why, but it seems that's the most irresistible treat of all, for these critters. Found the advice online somewhere, and I have to admit, it has worked for me when others have failed.

I use ammonia to get critters out of places I don't want them.

I have a big ol wood chuck living under my wood shed. Wouldnt mind him so much if he didnt dig holes everywhere. I live in the city so i cant shoot him, he won't go in the live trap and i fear if i shoot him with my bow he'll make it under the wood shed and die/stink there.

Air rifle works great.

For the ground hogs that I can't trap fast and within reach of car or truck I give em the "hose" I have exhaust hose for my garage and back up to burrow and bury hose end in opening and cover the back door and just put em to sleep. I even used the flexible duct work for exhaust fans to extend the hose. Heck I even used electrical conduit (3") to extend even farther (40'). 10 minutes or so does the trick with the added work of burial already accomplished. Also future "hogs" don't tend to want to inhabit that burrow.
Cucumbers work great for bait as I get the old ones for free at the produce stand.

For the ground hogs that I can't trap fast and within reach of car or truck I give em the "hose" I have exhaust hose for my garage and back up to burrow and bury hose end in opening and cover the back door and just put em to sleep. I even used the flexible duct work for exhaust fans to extend the hose. Heck I even used electrical conduit (3") to extend even farther (40'). 10 minutes or so does the trick with the added work of burial already accomplished. Also future "hogs" don't tend to want to inhabit that burrow.
Cucumbers work great for bait as I get the old ones for free at the produce stand.
There's a doohickey on the shelf at most hardware stores, that adapts your 2" - 3" tailpipe (no diesel guys) to a garden hose. The previous owner of my house left me one in the barn, when I moved in, but I've not used it myself. My preferred disposal plan is a Have-a-Heart trap, and my great-grandfather's antique Remington model 6.

Air rifle works great.

I have shot him numerous times with the air rifle, doesnt faze him much and then of course he runs under the wood shed. Really don't want a stinking dead wood chuck rotting under there for weeks, neighbors wouldnt be amused im sure. Looks like he has multiple tunnel entrances so not sure how well gassing him would work. Looks like he's building a little city under there.

The guaranteed way to get a woodchuck is with a conibear trap over the hole(s). I have eliminated dozens that way, in city limits over the past 3+ years. A live trap has never worked for me, and have tried apples, lettuce, canteloupe, egg shells as bait. They are cautious critters and tough to trick into a live trap. If you have a 'big one' in the den, you probably really have multiple woodchucks as the den is well established. Also I have found the 'big one' is a pregnant female, and is really the one you want to get ASAP. I have gotten as many as 13 from the same den over the course of a 3 week period, plus a possum. All were trapped coming out of the hole, not going in. Sometimes you get multiple in a short period, then they go on lockdown for a few days before surfacing again.

its funny, my ol man lives in the country and has a big barn infested with wood chucks and raccoons. Raccoons he gets with a pan of fly bait mixed with mountain dew, they drink and never make it more than 10 ft before dying. The wood chucks he catches in live traps or sneaks up on and shoots. It's like an all out war with him and always funny listening to his latest battle field exploits.. This year he's up to 32 coons and 18 wood chucks so far. Conibear trap is a good idea, i'll look into getting one.

Status
Not open for further replies.