Netbook for $40

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here they are......

2012-07-06_07-40-39_831.jpg 2012-07-06_07-41-39_507.jpg

Well.... I tried for a little while to get this damn thing to connect to my Wi-Fi.... Having hooked up our PS3, my Wifes and my Droid, the Laptop, and my Sons I-pod touch....!! I have input the password 100 different times and may have to call the Geek Squad, to get this thing on my wireless connection :(

Here I thought I was getting pretty good at this electronic thing...... Nope. :(

But.. Like stated above, it boots quick. Thats all I can comment on. It does appear to be in good shape. To be reconditioned.

Here are 2 pics, with a Dish Remote, for size comparison.

What encryption mode are you using Dex? If it's WPA2 (which what all concerned citizens should be using) then some older devices (I'm guessing these new toys aren't exactly on the forefront of wireless technology....) struggle with that. Try temporarily disabling your wireless encryption and see if it will connect then. I'm sure the real comp gurus around here will be along shortly and may be of more help.

Reactions: DexterDay
Dexter one thing to check. If your wireless router has access control activated you need to add the MAC address of the lil guy to the list.

The thing I always forget.

My two just arrived and one is unpacked and up and running. I kinda like the lil thing.

Well.... I tried for a little while to get this damn thing to connect to my Wi-Fi.... Having hooked up our PS3, my Wifes and my Droid, the Laptop, and my Sons I-pod touch....!! I have input the password 100 different times and may have to call the Geek Squad, to get this thing on my wireless connection :(

Here I thought I was getting pretty good at this electronic thing...... Nope. :(

But.. Like stated above, it boots quick. Thats all I can comment on. It does appear to be in good shape. To be reconditioned.

Here are 2 pics, with a Dish Remote, for size comparison.

Check your wireless modem's admin settings. It may be restricting the number of wireless devices.

Reactions: PapaDave
I
Dexter one thing to check. If your wireless router has access control activated you need to add the MAC address of the lil guy to the list.

The thing I always forget.

My two just arrived and one is unpacked and up and running. I kinda like the lil thing.

Have you used it on hearth-com yet? I hit about 6 security certificate invalid warnings when I got here until I realized that the date on the netbook was set for 2010.

I'm out of town for a month, and I had planned on taking the netbook with me, but it would have driven me nuts. Crammed the laptop into my suitcase.

With the netbook, it took me a couple of tries with the wireless configurations until WPA-2 with password worked to get me connected.

There is a Feb. 2012 OS update with youtube fix that I am downloading right now. Gonna have to jump through a few hoops since I don't have a SD card reader but I am going to try flashing the update tonight.

This could get ugly.

Flasher-practice.jpg

I tried it that way on the first one. And bricked it. Don't think it will ever work again. The second one I used the SD card and it worked. But it is useless with Windows CE so I dug up a ROM flash for Android 2.2 that works.

Neither one of them are gonna do me any good anyway. Neither CE nor Android support Java or ActiveX so they won't work with the cameras.

Status
Not open for further replies.