Network Score On The Way!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigCountryNY

Burning Hunk
Sep 16, 2014
Putnam Valley, NY
Ah, it's a great morning. Gonna sharpen the chain on the saw and head out to cut some wood! My daughter's friend's mom had come by pick up her daughter last night and noticed my stacks on the side of the house and the warm-your-bones heat coming from the stove. She said that they had a bunch of trees that needed to come down (and some down already) on their property. They had called a tree guy to come get the stuff but couldn't believe how much it was going to cost them, so she asked if I wanted it. IS WATER WET??? I'm heading over shortly to have a look and harvest the wood. Pics to follow later. This isn't helping my problem of always thinking about wood though... I'm glad we're all here and share the same affliction however - there's strength in numbers! Have a good one everyone!

It sometimes is an addiction. My stepdaughter is at her dad's house this weekend, so it's just the wife and I at home and she's been thinking all week about what the 2 of us could go do. She's mentioned hiking, seeing a movie, playing racquetball, riding bikes, or just staying in and watching TV on the couch all day. When she finally asked me yesterday morning what I wanted to do, I mentioned that the neighbor mentioned 2 months ago that they have a lot of down ash trees I could have, and it'd be fun for the 2 of us to go pick up the wood.

So we went bike riding.

That's hilarious, but very typical. My wife loves the stove and the heat but isn't one to volunteer to help me out. But I can't complain, she's usually doing other things around the yard or house when I'm cutting or splitting wood. But it wouldn't be her idea of quality time for the two of us either - she would also rather go for a hike, exploring, shopping, etc. :)

Reactions: bassJAM
WP_20141109_001.jpg WP_20141109_11_43_17_Pro.jpg WP_20141109_11_43_23_Pro.jpg
Worked my butt off today. Got over to the place to discover there were 7 standing dead that they wanted to have taken down. Well, ok then! I got there around 11AM this morning and felled and bucked 5 before dark, having stopped for lunch for a bit. Saved the other two for another day. I'm estimating that it's going to work out to somewhere between 3.5 and 4 cords when all is said and done. Need to check MC to be sure, but the tops were pretty dry. I'll be in great shape for next winter and can start on 2016/17 soon. But I am beat, that's for sure. :)

Last Sunday was felling, limbing, and bucking. This weekend was spent finishing up the bucking and hauling it all out. Here's the pics of the collective haul. 7 trees in total here, with a couple more to get. Now I've got a lot of splitting to do!

WP_20141116_15_49_54_Pro.jpg WP_20141116_15_50_18_Pro.jpg WP_20141116_15_50_53_Pro.jpg WP_20141116_15_51_24_Pro.jpg

Reactions: claydogg84
And a truck to buy, haha! But that's a sexy Jeep in the one pic ;). Nice score

And a truck to buy, haha! But that's a sexy Jeep in the one pic ;). Nice score

Haha, thanks! The Jeep is in the neighbor's driveway. My wife and I both have SUVs, so I'm going to pick up a trailer to haul my wood. As much as I'd love to get another F350 or RAM 3500, I haven't been able to sell my wife on getting a third vehicle at this point. My car is a company vehicle, so a new truck would just be a wood hauler mostly. However she did really enjoy helping me yesterday, so there is a glimmer of home. :) She took a couple of swings with Fiskars and was highly excited to run the electric splitter. Time will tell!

Reactions: D8Chumley
A trailer for the SUV would work fine. What did it cost to rent the truck/trailer combo? Just curious, and kudos for getting the Mrs involved

When all was said and done, it cost me about $100 including gas. The truck was $19.95 plus $.59/mile and the trailer was $18.95. I did about 60 miles total between 5 loads and picking up/dropping off the truck. I could have done it in 3 loads, but I had to drive over the area where the septic fields were on their property and so the owner was concerned about weight.

View attachment 143772 View attachment 143773 View attachment 143774
Worked my butt off today. Got over to the place to discover there were 7 standing dead that they wanted to have taken down. Well, ok then! I got there around 11AM this morning and felled and bucked 5 before dark, having stopped for lunch for a bit. Saved the other two for another day. I'm estimating that it's going to work out to somewhere between 3.5 and 4 cords when all is said and done. Need to check MC to be sure, but the tops were pretty dry. I'll be in great shape for next winter and can start on 2016/17 soon. But I am beat, that's for sure. :)

Nice work! Nothing beats hitting the sack totally worn out because you've got new wood added to your stacks!

Reactions: BigCountryNY
Status
Not open for further replies.