Never enough wood--period!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
Way things are shutting down around here. Best get what ya can when ya can.

Limited logging == limited firewood.

My wood is all from residential trees. People have them cut down, or this year, the ice storm brought them down.

Matt

I've been speaking to a few loggers and a few who drive the trucks up here and they are getting 125/cd at the pulp mills.

Matt

Your statement, "never enough wood--period!!" is beginning to worry me. I have 20 cords and no where to put any more. I have wood stacked everywhere. It is a result of three events in 15 months. All different. one tornado, winds form hurricane ike and an ice storm. I think there can be a limit to eveything. I may have reached it with firewood for awhile. Tony

In my case, I don't see any benefit to being more than two years ahead. The wood is about as dry as it's going to get at that point, and it takes up a good deal of room in the yard. I have it staked in East-West rows 5' high by 40' long, with about 9' between them for air and tractor circulation. I have long narrow tarps over the top of each row.

wood like money the more you get!

nofossil said:
In my case, I don't see any benefit to being more than two years ahead...
I guess it depends on the reliability of your supply. I rely on others to deliver and I've been left in the lurch before.

I think your right about never having enough wood. I think that once you realize that you've got enough wood for a few seasons then you quit 'looking' for it. It's nice to get to a point where you can depend on people coming to you and giving you already bucked rounds just to get rid of it. The way I look at it is that I've got enough to keep the family warm for 3 years regardless of what else is going on in the world. If I feel like there's too much wood hanging around then I'll list a cord or so in the middle of January for a premium price for premium wood. It's still money in the bank. Safer than the banks today IMO.

Somebody please explain this to my wife!! She's constantly saying, "Don't you think you have enough?!"

But she has no complaints when she snuggles up to it every morning and evening when she comes in from taking care of the animals!!

Right on drdoct! In our case, we have over 40 acres where we can stack it and 99% of that you can not see from the road.

I've convinced the wife on the wood scrounging. Last year was our first with the insert, and she and the rest of my family would give me crap, "you've got enough wood around here for years". Well, after seeing how much we burned this year and being down to a very small pile of semi seasoned stuff, she's telling the rest of the family how we need to stockpile. I also let her swing the maul a few times and I think I got a little mo' respect on how much work it is keeping us warm..... :coolsmirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.