Never have I used so much gas!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tubbster

Aug 12, 2008
Central NY
As the last two months with this stove.

Nice to have the lower half of my house warm, and for the most part it keeps the whole house warm when it is running, but MAN!

The gas use is the highest it has ever been. And I know it has been a brutal winter so far, but the low efficiencies freestanding stoves have is ringing true.

Anyway, carry on....

Hey, tubbster

<>The gas use is the highest it has ever been. And I know it has been a brutal winter so far, but the low efficiencies freestanding stoves have is ringing true.<>

You can increase the efficiency by opening your air shutter all the way...
Blue Flames are more efficient & cleaner than a nice yellow wood burning look...
'Course if you have LP, then the air shutter may ALREADY be wide open...
In that case, the only way to save some bux is to set the t-stat a little lower...

I think it is running as good as can be.

The stove always had some issues, long story. But it runs good now, I usually keep it on low, and it looks like a perfect flame/bed of coals.

I do keep the thermostat on the warm side. :)

Is this that Napoleon? Well sorry man, but I'm sure you can appreciate that anytime you heat up more cubic feet its going to take more energy. So unless you use to crank the thermostat to keep this area as warm then you shouldn't be saving money.

On the same note. I replaced my wood burning fireplace with a gas stove and I too am burning more gas then ever. I used to heat with all wood, even had the gas company wanting to check the meter because I wasn't using enough gas, but now I'm heating with wood (woodstove in basement) and gas.

Of course the house is 5 degrees warmer, I get to sleep all night (no stuffing the woodstove at 2am to keep the house warm) and I have "fires" all the time with the flick of a switch. I'm also not worried about leaving the gas stove alone when running. Heck, I even got a remote that turns it on an hour before I get up and an hour before I get home from work and the house is nice and toasty no matter what the temperature outside.

Is it worth it? Mama's happy and you know what they say, If mama ain't happy, NO ONE is happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.