Never hurts to ask...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hills Hoard

Minister of Fire
Mar 19, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I am a massive fan of scrounging wood and I spend a lot of time doing it so I understand that there are often grey areas when it comes to what is legal or morally right to take. On the weekend I found a huge pile of eucalytus rounds in a local park. I knew it was wrong to start loading as I knew this park uses the wood...in fact, there were a group of volunteers and ranges processing some more wood a short distance away......i thought i'd try my luck and go ask for some wood...one of the rangers heard me talking about the wood and came up and said with a bit of attitude "technically all the wood within these fences is our property"...i said "no probs, it never hurts to ask" and said good by...as i turned to walk the same guy says (in a much slower and precise tone)..."technically, all of the wood between these fences is our property"....i turned back round and he gave a slight nod, i gave a slight nod back and went and grabbed a massive load of rounds...haha...photos to come

I agree. Scrounging is almost an addiction I'm beginning to think. No matter where I'm out driving I've always got my eyes open. Seems the utility is always trimming and I try to find the bounty they often leave (always near road and within easement for utility). Nevertheless, I always feel a little unsettled when grabbing the downfall. If it is obvious who the property owner I will ask but often it is not clear and the stuff will sit there for what seems forever. There is one stash I've been eyeing awhile consisting of some 20" diameter plus sections of beech. I usually look for an opportunity during the week to go in and grab the downfall if possible. Pains me to see it just sit there and rot. However, can't help feeling a little uneasy at the same time. Does everyone feel the same?

Reactions: Hills Hoard
Nice grab, HH! :cool:
If it is obvious who the property owner I will ask but often it is not clear and the stuff will sit there for what seems forever.
The county assessor's website here has a map so I can see who's property the wood is on, and sometimes I can find them in the phone book to call and ask. With less people in the phone book these days, though, chances are good that I'll have to knock on the door. I got lazy on a big White Oak that went down about a mile from the house. I didn't try to contact them for about a week, and I lost out. Oh, well, there are a lot of trees out there....but not a ton of White Oak that ever goes down. I'll try to do better next time. ==c

Last edited:
pics as promised...the eucalypt is the split wood to the right of the wood pile....plus a photo from a day trip i did with my wife to a dam about 1.5 hours drive away...for the locals its the upper yarra dam...

note: i have my proper wood piles around the back of my house but i typically process wood here in my driveway and stack it temporarily before moving it to the other wood piles......i know its double handling but i have limited access to the back of my yard for cars etc its the best system i have come up with yet...and ive had the driest wood ever this winter so i'll stick with it!!

puffing billy wood score.jpg

yarra dam.jpg

Last edited:
plus a photo from a day trip i did with my wife to a dam about 1.5 hours drive away
Looks like winter at the dam, not so much at your house. Maybe the massive radiation off your stove is keeping it a greener close to your house. ;)

Reactions: Hills Hoard
I see it all the time, and often property owners will not let you collect it if you ask. It pains me that many would let it rot before letting you haul it off.

But......I always ask. If they say no, then I let it be.

I care more about their property rights than my woodpile.

Reactions: TreePointer
Status
Not open for further replies.