Never Hurts To Try

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

byQ

Minister of Fire
May 12, 2013
Idaho
I called a Lowe's in the next town over and asked if they would match a 20% Harbor Freight discount coupon on a log splitter. The manager said, "We only match if the item is the same", so no deal. Oh well I tried.

I thought I would try one more time with the Lowe's in my town. This manager said, "Ya, I'll match it." So I got the Dirty Hands 22-ton splitter for $800 + $46 in tax (it is already on sale for $999.99).

I have a Brave EZ Split/Iron Oak splitter that I will sell in the spring for around $500. So $350 for a new splitter ($850 - $500). Hope it works as good as the 10-ton little Brave has worked. It will be nice to be able to go vertical.

Last edited:
An extra phone call made you $200

Ya, I was surprised when the 2nd manager said he would match the HF coupon. I was only 'kind of' looking for a new splitter. The one I have - Brave EZ split - has been good. It is small so it can be moved around by hand. But dense knotty hardwoods are a problem for it. It can handle everything else. I have some dry knotty Ash and I've tried splitting it but the splitter only made it through about half of the pieces (and I worked the edges). And it only goes horizontal.

I've never seen one in person, but I've read about that little Brave splitter and was intrigued. It looks like an updated answer to the 1970's Didier splitters that still have a significant following.

Status
Not open for further replies.