Never seen one like this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
I found this tonight looking at Gov. sales site. I never seen something like this before. Has anyone seen something like this?

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 728
Looks like a standard cabinet stove. Inside is your basic steel box. Sear and US stove sold some of these. Do you know the make?

They still sell them and the suckers are heating a lot of houses. Do a darned good job of it too.

We lose sight on this Forum of the fact that there are a lot of decent heating appliances out there that don't do secondary burn light shows. And burned right they don't smoke up the neighborhood either.

A friend of mine in the early '80s used to have an Ashley stove that looked a lot like that. It was called a circulator stove - cool to the touch so kids didn't get burnt.

I used to have a "Sears" wood stove, it burned very dirty, so I took it out of the house.
It looked like this one, the Newmac NS-220:

Attachments

• stratus.gif
    stratus.gif
    19.6 KB · Views: 628
Funny. Years ago I almost bought a house that had one of those....I t hought it was gas. had no idea it had a wood stove inside of it.

My great grandma had one of these in the center of her small house, and it was a gas burner. I used to sit and stare at the flame burner thingy in the center when we'd visit, either that or the cast iron legs on her treadle sewing machine which sat nearby.

Some nice irony in the picture. I like the wildfire safety poster in the background with the illustrations for 'Defensible Space Zone' and better the 'House Ignition Zone'.

With that install, I'm surprised the Home Ignition Zone wasn't the wall 2 inches away from the stove or 6-8 inches from the thimble, or the carpeted floor with no protection.

fespo said:
I found this tonight looking at Gov. sales site. I never seen something like this before. Has anyone seen something like this?

I saw dozens of them, and this one looks decent. Most were placed in 3-4 family homes and as primary heat source as a remodel. Most of the homes were built 1890-1920 and when converted to gas became 'less' of a fire trap and the primary coal stove in the basement was abandon.

Basicly, the 'slum-lord' put it in and made the tenent responsible for the gas bill.

Here is the add for the stove, i tried to copy and paste the linkb but it only take you to the main site.

Item Name Sale-Lot Number Current
Bid State Number of
Bidders Close Time
(*) Possible Extension. See Bidding Rules. Add to
Favorites
#022505, STOVE, WOOD A1QSCI08022505 110 USD WA 3 11/22 08:03 PM CT *

Item Description
Bidding Details
Bidding Rules
Bid History
GSA Auctions® official time 07:00 AM CT

STOVE WOOD CAST IRON W/A BROWN STEEL OUTER CABINET WITH VENTS. 24"W X 34"D X 34 1/2" TALL. SIDE STOVE EXHAUST PIPE. MFG. & MAKE: BUCCANEER, GOOD CONDITION, BUT NOT USED FOR LEAST 5 YEARS. WE ACQUIRED THIS STOVE IN 1990. REPAIRS MAY BE NEEDED. (1404D8-7284-0004)

THE CONDITION OF THE PROPERTY IS NOT WARRANTED.

Special Inspection Information:
" INSPECTION AND REMOVAL BY APPOINTMENT ONLY: PAYMENT DUE BY
11-27-07 AND REMOVAL BY 12-06-07.

Please contact the custodian for inspection dates and times and for removal arrangements.

Successful bidders are cautioned that they will be responsible for loading and removal of any and all property awarded to them from the exact place where the property is located, as indicated below

Property Location and inquiries/questions regarding removal:
U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Pierce Nwr
36062 Sr 14
Stevenson, WA 98648
Phone: 360-835-8767
Fax: 360-835-9780
[email protected]

For inquiries/questions regarding payment and contractual issues, contact the following GSA Sales office:
GSA, FAS, 9QSCC
SALES OFFICE
450 GOLDEN GATE AVE 4TH FLOOR WEST
SAN FRANCISCO , CA 94102
Phone: 415-522-2891
Fax: 415-522-3019
[email protected]

Additional pictures- Mouse Over or click to enlarge

Not sure about the brand or details of that one but it looks to be similar to the "wonderwood" heaters I've seen. I know a friend had one of these and it was his only heat. It seemed to work well for him. I thought about getting one, but I like to see the fire too much and don't like how these look. Now I'm glad I went with a stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.